Join now - be part of our community!

1080p or not?

pquinn140369
Visitor

1080p or not?

Hi

I'm running a Vaio VGX-XL201 through a Bravia KDL-40W2000 LCD TV, via (as you would expect) the supplied HDMI cable.

On Vaio startup, the TV announces that the connection is 1080p. However, once Windows XP has started, the Bravia revises this to 1080i.

Is this to be expected? I am not sure I remember this 'downward' change when I first connected the two pieces of kit a month ago, but I could be mistaken.

The only 1080p material I have available to run are some demo samplers from the Windows HD website, but, when run through Windows Media Player, these do not result in a change to the announced 1080i display by the Bravia (although I'm not sure it should?).

Many thanks in advance for any input on this subject, even if it is simply 'not seen this before'.

pq

6 REPLIES 6
shenyap
Visitor

Hi

I have the exact same setup and can confirm that the Vaio outputs 1080i after the initial setup. I am no technical guru, so don't know if the Media Center/windows XP/video card can display 1080p.

Hope this alleviates some of your concern that you are the only one experiencing a change from p to i.

Regards
Shen

pquinn140369
Visitor

Hi

I have the exact same setup and can confirm that the Vaio outputs 1080i after the initial setup. I am no technical guru, so don't know if the Media Center/windows XP/video card can display 1080p.

Hope this alleviates some of your concern that you are the only one experiencing a change from p to i.

Regards
Shen

Thanks, yes that does make me feel a little better!

It would be nice to know why it does this, and whether if we watch 1080p downloads we are seeing them as full 1080 progressive, or 'just' as 1080 interlaced, as the TV display suggests ...

Barkingtoad
Visitor

Hi, changing the subject a bit, can I ask what resolution you have running and how you have got around the overscan problem.
I have the same setup VGX-XL201 connected to KDL40W2000, but am having heaps of problems to get around the overscan issue.
Thank you.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

I would also like to know if anyone else experiences a 'milky way effect' of light patches on their big Bravias on black screen.

I can solve this by reducing backlight etc but I like my back lit up thanks LOL

bluetyler
Visitor

Hi all,

If you download the latest NVIDIA drivers for XP you can output 1920 x 1080p. If you do want to try these drivers follow the installation instructions carefully.

"Before installing new drivers make sure you uninstall all NVIDIA display drivers from the Windows Control Panel. Browse to the Start Menu > Windows Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and search for "NVIDIA Windows Display Drivers" or "NVIDIA Display Drivers" and select remove.

P.S. I have the XL202 and my KDL-40X2000 correctly identifies the 1080p output. I use 1920x1080p for watching BD's but reduce the res' for general browsing.

danf_42
Visitor

I contacted Sony support about this, as the sticker on the front says Full HD. But the support people said it only does 1080i and for Sony, Full HD means 1080i, even though for everyone else Full HD means 1080p 😞

I tried Nvidia's normal drivers, and that allowed me to run the XL201 at 1080p, but when I went to watch tv on it, there was no sound.

So, the pc can handle 1080p, but Sony have chosen to hobble it for some reason.