Join now - be part of our community!

15Gb Disc Space Used By Album Covers On Vaio Pocket

Automan
Visitor

15Gb Disc Space Used By Album Covers On Vaio Pocket

My 40Gb Vaio Pocket has just over 10,000 tracks loaded at 64Kb Atrac3plus. About 75% of the CD's have album art assigned.

The same music collection fits on my NW-HD1 with 3 gigs of free space (20gig hard drive).

The same collection on Vaio pocket leaves 5.7 gigs of free space.

Thus if you are thinking of assigning album covers beware - they use up nearly as much space as your music!

Automan.

8 REPLIES 8
nemo66
Visitor

Automan, u made for sure a mistake somewhere!
My covers take just about some kb for each.
Can it be that u saved the covers in .bpm format?
Or even bigger sized formats?
Look on the HD of the PV and find out the size of the cover.
As for my PV they take almost none space!

Automan
Visitor

My OMGAUDIO folder takes up 31Gb of space!

The last couple of days I have also experience music glitches while walking with VP in my pocket. Battery drain also worse!

Earlier in the week I reformatted my VP from its menu when I could no longer transfer any files.

I have just checked the properties of some of the files on VP.

They should have all been Atrac3Plus 64Kb.

They are not!

Instead they are 160Kbs MPEG1Audio Layer 3

My Sonicstage is still set for Atrac3Plus 64Kb in the transfer settings but it seems to have ignored this and re-converted all my tracks again to another format.

This would explain also the worse battery life as more reads of the hard drive are required and music glitches as the device must have a very limited ram buffer.

Now to reformat again and try to get it to transfer at the correct rate.

Automan.

Automan
Visitor

It seems if your Pocket is not authorised with the music service files are copied over with no conversion (except they are not called mp3's anymore).

I have used tealeaf's method to fix SonicStage (beware if you are doing this on a Sony PC or you will delete non SonicStage Sony components).

My player is now (after reinitalize hd again) comparing tracks in library vs empty player (this takes an hour or so).

With luck it will them copy my 10,000 tracks in Atrac3Plus format.

Also don't forget to put the skins back if you reinitalize your VP

Automan.

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

an other question.

How can I get the album covers?
I have imported my CD's to my Notebook .
CDDB give me all infos automaticly, but no covers

Automan
Visitor

You have to obtain jpeg's of the album covers and drag them to the CD icon in Sonicstage.

I am still in trouble. Or maybe SonicStage 2.3 defaults to copying mp3 format?

My setup still picks the original mp3 files to copy over rather than my optimized atrac collection.

SS plays and knows about the optimized collection but will not transfer them to pocket.

If I delete or move the mp3 files from my PC the transfer just fails

Gloom 😞

Automan.

Cala
Visitor

an other question.

How can I get the album covers?
I have imported my CD's to my Notebook .
CDDB give me all infos automaticly, but no covers

Search for your album on amazon. When your album comes up click on it then when the info page is there clickon the album cover again and you will get a decent pic to use.

C

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

thank's

Automan
Visitor

Okay,
It seems to me that SonicStage no longer uses the optimized files (atrac format) when used with VP.

When you use the transfer option it copys the original source mp3's to VP along with your album art and also renames them to its own unique file name convention.

To check if this is correct in the transfer window of SS right click and check the properties of a file you have copied since your VP has been on the latest firmware with SS 2.3

Are they Atrac format files?

The same SS2.3 installation thankfully still copies Atrac3Plus format files to my NW-HD1 device. I suppose that is because SS2.3 knows it will not play mp3 files (yet).

Automan.