Join now - be part of our community!

A couple of questions about the Vaio VGN-N11H...

lulabeales
Explorer

A couple of questions about the Vaio VGN-N11H...

Hello all, I'm new here so go easy on me if I sometimes sound a bit thick. :thinking:

I've recently helped a friend move house, build a couple of wardrobes for her etc. Whilst moving I found her disused Sony Vaio VGN-N11H. I said what is wrong with this? She told me she couldn't get it to turn on... So I plugged in the charger, and that itself, the green light didn't turn on, so I kept that one quiet. :wink: Anyway as the day went on (and the next day) the move came to it's end, and she asked how much I wanted for payment, I said i'll take the laptop if you like? (as she is now a mac user, and this had been sat in the loft for 2 years). 

Now I wish I just took a bit of regular payment off her, because... it's rubbish. The spec is quite low... 1GB of RAM, 80GB HDD, and a dualcore 1.7Ghz processor, and by the feel of a few of the keys, it's had a drink spilt on it... 

So thankyou for reading that little phase of my life, now to my questions.

I've upgraded it to Windows7 Starter, am I going to run into any problems?
I've ordered 2x1GB RAM cards off the bay, this laptop does not support anymore memory than that... Why not? What will happen with 4GB?
Where is the HDD and how can I remove it to replace it?
Can the processor be upgraded?

and finally my left-click works 1 in 5 times, and my right click (the submenu) will open itself all day long when I haven't touched the damn thing once! Is this down to the drink that was spilt? Can the mouse/trackpad/buttons be replaced? 

Thankyou for your time, and sorry if it's a bit lengthy!

Luke

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Luke and welcome.

The VGN-N11H was sold in 2006 with XP installed and though it is partly supported for use with Windows Vista, there is no support from Sony for anything more modern. The main board can only use 2GB of RAM.

You can download any available drivers, utilities, manuals etc for this model from here: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGN-N11H

You will need to remove the keyboard and palmrest to get to the hard drive - if you Google, disassembly instructions are available online.

The touchpad sounds like a hardware fault.  As the Vaio is so far out of warranty, you may find a local repairer can give advice on a repair.

Sorry it's not good news.

:thinking: