Join now - be part of our community!

A215Z DVD Drive won't eject

graham55
Visitor

A215Z DVD Drive won't eject

Hi All, did my best to search the forum for this problem...apologies if it's come up before.

Brand new Vaio A215Z, all fine except DVD drive won't eject. Neither the large button or the small button on the bezel will make it eject, only way is to use paperclip in emergency eject. The drive works fine though!

I previously had a A217S from new and had the same problem after setting up for the first time, but managed to sort it....only now I can't remember what it was that I did! I've checked for software updates and have successfully updated the firmware but can't see anything else that looks like it will sort the problem.

Appreciate it if anyone can help...thanks :slight_frown:

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

It might be best to speak to VAIO-Link about this.

Try this:
* Restart your VAIO.
* Press F2 repeatidely until the "Entering Setup..." message appears.
* Try ejecting the drive now.
* Press F10 to quit.

If it works in BIOS, there may be a piece of software causing a problem in Windows. I experienced this on an old Toshiba laptop and found it was an old utility running in the background.

One such example:
On occasion, the Roxio Easy CD/DVD Creator software gets a bit carried away and locks the drive until you next reboot the PC.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

If it will eject in DOS then boot up in Windows and go to C:\Utils and run utils.exe

graham55
Visitor

Many thanks to the both of you...the drive won't eject in bios either so gather it's a drive fault. I'll contact support.

No idea why I keep buying vaoi's...2nd fault with an A series I've had from new?!!!:smileyconfused:

lazybones
Visitor

if you look carefully at the edge of the drawer, you might find a wee hole just big enough to take an unfolded paperclip. cautiously , and gently, insert clip into hole. this operates a release mechanism. it used to be the emergency way to eject a floppy on a mac. works a treat for me.

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

For the first, you could also use soft eject.

graham55
Visitor

Ta lazybones, Ithe drive opens fine using the old paperclip, but considering that the drive not only has an eject button on the vaio but also another small button on the bezel, also considering it's a brand new machine, I would think that a work around shouldn't be the solution!!! Just thought I'd try the forum first as sony support are sooooo helpful and knowledgable.....not!!:smileyshocked:

kee-lo_

Yeah thats a minus of the A series.

gap101255
New

had this problem with same model , run the sony utilites program then it should work .

If this does not work run bios at start up this I had to do but 3 times after running sony utilites .

also my sound, would not work but doing the above got all working fine

fraheato
Explorer

Had the same problem with my brand new K315M. Phoned Sony Support, who were very helpful. They suggested that I try measures mentioned above, also to go into My Computer, and click Eject from there.

Nothing worked so I returned the machine to the shop who immediately replaced the model. Unfortunately my printer disc was locked tightly inside the DVD drawer, which would have cost about a tenner to replace.

Good luck