Join now - be part of our community!

All I see is a black screen and a dormant cursor.

profile.country.en_GB.title
gtjareth
Visitor

All I see is a black screen and a dormant cursor.

When I clicked of green power button on my red vaio (PCG-61813M) , it took a while for anything to appear on the screen. Then in a godly miricle, the screen lit up, with the cursor on it. That's when everything stopped, a played with the mouse for a bit until the cursor just simply stopped moving. The green power light is on so I guess the computer is logged in but the screen isn't working.

When I plug the computer in, I do see the orange light go on so the computer itself is responding. However I can't turn it off so I guess there's a message that says something doesn't work but I can't see it because the screen isn't working.

To anyone who deosn't know the coding for VAIOs, mine is a red laptop personal computer.

Message was edited by: gtjareth

Message was edited by: gtjareth

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi gtjareth and welcome.

Can you please give us the correct Vaio Model - you are quoting an invalid model (probably the chassis model).  The correct model will be on the screen surround and will be something like VPCCA2S0E.

VAIO Model.png

Have you tried connecting to an external monitor to see if there is a problem with your screen?

Have you tried pressing Alt+Ctrl+Del to see if you can open Task Manager?  If you can, try ending the 'explorer.exe' process and then run 'explorer.exe' as a new task in the Applications Tab.  The cause could be explorer.exe not running correctly.

:thinking:

JimHatt95
New

Hi, Just wondering how to end the 'explorer.exe' process and run it again?

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

@JimHatt95 Hi and welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

There are a couple of ways depending which operating system you are using.

For example in Windows 7 you can right click the task bar at the bottom of the screen and open task manager. You can then kill explorer (right click on it and click end process) and re-run explorer.exe in there. (Click the File tab then New Task (Run) and type explorer.exe in there and click OK.  You can also open task manager by pressing Ctrl - Alt + Delete.

For Windows 8 you could close explorer by holding down the SHIFT and CTRL keys and right-clicking on the empty space on the Start Menu, and the Exit Explorer option would appear.

Apparently now you can just hold SHIFT and CTRL and right-click anywhere on the Taskbar to get the menu option to show up.

Once you’ve closed Explorer, sometimes it’ll open again. When it doesn’t, use the CTRL + SHIFT + ESC keyboard shortcut to pull up Task Manager, and then use File -> Run to run explorer again.

In Windows 8, you can also just find Windows Explorer in the Task Manager and then click the Restart button.

Have a look Here  for Windows 8 / Windows 10 info.