Join now - be part of our community!

All-In-One desktop issue

WinDrop
Explorer

All-In-One desktop issue

Hi,

I have a problem with an All-In-One desktop computer (PCG-11211M) which I had for quite a while.
Recently screen has started to play up.

When I turn it on it's just black. Nothing comes up, not even the VAIO logo.

Now the funny thing is that if I press display On/Off button which is located on the top left corner of the computer screen flickers.

It turns on for about a second then goes blank again.
Then I have to turn the screen on again and once I press the button to turn it off it clickers again doing exactly the same thing.

No artifacts on the screen itself, everything is crystal clear it's just the fact that it doesn't come up.

Could you please advise on what could be the problem or what kind of test could I run?

Please note that I already reset BIOS settings (had to constantly turn the screen on and off to see what I have to press) but this didn't help.

This is not driver problem as BIOS doesn't load drivers.
I doubt that this is the video card itself as when it does flicker the image is crystal clear and if video chips itself would be faulty then there would be some artifacts on the screen or it wouldn't turn on at all.

Please recommend what other tests I could run.
Don't be afraid to suggest advanced tests. I am an IT technician and can easily run any test you suggest.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Tags (3)
15 REPLIES 15
WinDrop
Explorer

Anyone?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi WinDrop,

Do you know whether the screen it backlit with fluorescent tube(s) or LED? If florescent tube I would suspect a faulty inverter. You can check for this by entering the BIOS and then, when the screen goes blank, shine a torch on the screen. If you can see a faint image this would tend to confirm a faulty inverter.

If however the screen is LED backlit it may possibly be a faulty screen power supply.

Incidentally I think you will find the model is a VPCJ1 series. PCG-11211M is a chassis reference common to several models.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
WinDrop
Explorer

Omg, I woulf od never thought about checking monitor with a flashlight...

I did checked it just now with camera flash from my smartphone and I can confirm that under certain angle I can actually see image (very faint one but I can see it)

Computer Product code is: VPCJ11M1E however I cannot find any information about the inverter itself.

Could you please advice where is it located?

I could take the computer apart and buy new inverter and then replace it (if possible to buy on it's own)

Kind Regards,

Arturs.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Arturs,

If it has an inverter it is usually located at the base of the LCD screen – often toward the right hand side. Once found you should be able to find a part number and Google that.

I don’t have any disassembly instructions for your model but the following images, although not relevant to your model, should give you an idea of what you are looking for.

Inverter 1.jpg

Inverter 2.JPG

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I should have made it clear that if it is a LED backlit screen you will still see a faint image if the power is not reaching the LED’s but there will not be an inverter. As stated, this would point to a power supply failure to the LED’s.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
WinDrop
Explorer

Unfortunately not quite clear if I have an LCD or LED monitor however I did found the inverter and here it is: 

Inverter ( I am very sorry if it's not allowed to post links to other sites, I really need to sorted 😞 )

As you can see this is an inverter for All-in-One desktop PC (VPCJ1) (which is exactly the one that I currently hold in my hand.

Question is, can it be something else at all?
Is there a possibility that after I replace the item screen still won't work?

Kind Regards,

Arturs.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

That is not a type of inverter I have ever seen before. It looks to be a board of some description but not an inverter as I know it. There again I have no experience of power supply boards for LED backlights so it may possibly be that – as far as I am aware LED backlights don’t require an inverter. I suggest you ask the seller for more details.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
WinDrop
Explorer

Well, in the description it does say that it's an inverter for LCD screen.

Although it's possible that it's quite different one compared to a laptop screen...this is an All-In-One desktop after all...so inverter module won't be as small as it usually is in laptops.

Thank you very much for your help.

I will buy this item and see if this fixes the issue.

If not then will just send it back.

Again - thank you very much for your help.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Good luck Arturs.

Please let us know how things progress as this information may very well be of help to other members.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat