Join now - be part of our community!

'an attempt to initialize the camera failed' error message for webcam

darn
Visitor

'an attempt to initialize the camera failed' error message for webcam

Hi

This is an issue that seems to be well covered when searching online. However, i haven't been able to fix the issue of receiving the error message 'an attempt to initialize the camera failed. Please check if another software is using the camera'.

My laptop is VGN-FZ11Z
The driver for the camera is VGP-VCC4 version number 6.1008.207.0
OS is Vista Home Premium.

I think this has happened since installing service pack 1 but i can't be sure as haven't used the camera for ages.

I've tried the various fixes including unchecking the option for the camera utility to start when Windows boots up. I've reinstalled all the drivers, uninstalled them and restarted then reinstalled them again but still get the annoying message. there is definately nothing else using the camera and the light isn't on indicating that its active.

Has anyone else had this and managed to sort it???

Any help greatly received!

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi darn and welcome to Club Vaio.

As you say, this has been a common problem but I thought SP1 fixed it!!!

I assume the camera in installed correctly in Device Manager -> Imaging Devices as a "Sony Visual Communication Camera"
I assume you have VAIO Camera Capture Utility 2.2.03.11150 installed.
What happens if you open VCCU from 'All Programs'? Does the camera work?
I assume you have VAIO Camera Utility 2.0.02.05140 installed.

Have you tried installing Microsoft Hotfix KB931812 ? It fixes the problem for some users but unfortunately not all. Some models will not allow it to install. I attach it to the bottom of this post as it can be difficult to find.

It is caused by a UAC problem (as are most things with Vista) and as a last resort, you can turn off the User Account Control. Microsoft say this weakens the security of the operating system - it may do a little bit and you need to be aware of this if you turn it off.

You may have to turn UAC on when installing some new software than won't install as it sometimes expects to have to overcome UAC.

darn
Visitor

Blencogo
Thanks very much for your reply and for attaching the update file.

Sadly, i get the error message that the update does not apply to my system.

My device driver shows the Sony Visual Communication camera and the software is all up to date. I've unistalled this several times and reinstalled by using the downloadable drivers on the Sony support site.

When you say what about trying from all programs what do you mean? The only way i know of to start the camera is by opening the camera capture utility, in the Vaio camera folder in all programs - is there another way of opening it?

My problems seemed to start with SP1 as i lost my power icon for ages - it took a long time to find the fix to that, and now i find that sp1 has stopped my camera working.

Thanks