Join now - be part of our community!

AR11B vista compatible?

tsmetjen
Visitor

AR11B vista compatible?

Hi ,

i'v downloaded and run 'windows vista upgrade adviser' program from the windows website.
But it keeps scanning the system, and does'nt give any result.
I've tried stopping antivirus and firewall programs, but no result so far.
I have the latest drivers from the VAIO support website.

So, is my notebook not vista ready?
:thinking:

14 REPLIES 14
tsmetjen
Visitor

Hi, I had the same sound problem with Vista RC1 on my Vaio VGN-AR11S. I fixed it by downloading the updated SigmaTel Audio Driver from Vaoi-Link, at http://www.vaio-link.com/downloads/info/info.asp?l=en&url=Downloads/ST/D/AUD/STDAUD-01129106-UN.exe&... and following the installation instructions on that page. The volume and mute buttons on the laptop keyboard work OK too.

ok, thx a lot; this works for me too
:clap:

still have to find a solution for the eject-button of the dvd

rjhmills
Visitor

Message for andrewb: I have just read on this thread that you have installed Vista RC1 on your AR11S. I too have an AR11S and am interested to hear more about your experience installing RC1.

Did you have problems only with the audio drivers (btw thanks for the fix), or have you had issues with the nVidia 7600 Go card like others have referred to? Anything else I should know about that didn't work?

Also: did you do an in-place upgrade over XP, or did you do a clean install? If you did the latter, have you managed to install the various apps (eg Roxio, and other Sony apps) that were pre-installed on the machine under XP?

Many thanks in advance.

Richard

rjhmills
Visitor

Message for tsmetjen: I too am experiencing the "no sound" problem in Vista RC1 on my AR11S. I have tried installing the latest Sigmatel drivers from the vaio-link website but they won't install - I get an error message saying "Device object not present".

Did you not get this error message? Any ideas how I can get round it?

Thanks for any help!

tsmetjen
Visitor

Message for tsmetjen: I too am experiencing the "no sound" problem in Vista RC1 on my AR11S.  I have tried installing the latest Sigmatel drivers from the vaio-link website but they won't install - I get an error message saying "Device object not present".

Did you not get this error message? Any ideas how I can get round it?

Thanks for any help!

I dindn't have that problem

what you can try to get the sound working :

set the setup program for the audio to compatible mode 'with xp'
in the device manager delete the sigmatel sound hardware
run the setup program as administrator

I'm not sure at all, but no harm can be done

success

rjhmills
Visitor

Thanks - I have finally managed to get audio working. For the benefit of anyone else who runs into the same problem, this is how I fixed it:

- I installed a clean copy of RC2
- I installed the original audio driver that came with the machine (c:\drivers\audio\setup.exe)
- I then downloaded the latest Sigmatel audio driver from the vaio-link site and installed that.

I don't know if the second step was necessary, but I did it nonetheless. I had system sounds working by the end of the second step, but mp3s etc would play only after installing the latest driver.

I didn't need to run either of the driver setup routines using XP compatibility settings.

I hope this helps other people out there.