AR71J Downgrade to XP - 70% Complete

shaker63
Visitor

AR71J Downgrade to XP - 70% Complete

Can anyone help me before I put a hammer through this laptop

I've downgraded to XP Pro from Vista but have three problems as listed below

NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT
AUDIO - Realtek High Definition Audio & Sigmatel High Definition Audio Codec

The two audiop ones are the biggest problem as I cant get either to work. In device manager I get the following on the sigmatel - This device cannot start. (Code 10)

The NVidia I think I've cracked, but when I load Device Manager it tells me the following - The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28) - I have no idea how to correct this

If I can get these working, I have the machine error free and running xp......

Will post full guide and drivers if I can get everything running

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

XP cannot handle high definition audio without installing a hotfix first. You need to install KB888111 and I attach it to the bottom of this post.

When you have run the .exe file, then install the Sigmatel driver (forget the Realtec driver)

Try the nVidia driver for XP here: -

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers/xp/174.74

Good Luck

:wink:

shaker63
Visitor

superb

I now have the laptop running 100% on XP Pro, with no problems, no recovery partition and its absolutely flying

I've gone from being a miserable old bunny to an extremely happy old bunny

Top banana - but it took six weeks to get to this stage

warble
Visitor

Hi shaker 63,

I'm about to buy a new large screen vaio, and I'm seriously considering the AR 71, so I
was very interested in your post. Would you be willing to post your full guide and drivers-I'd be very grateful. If you don't mind me asking, why did you choose this model instead of the newer AW series?

Cheers, warble

trueman_uk
Visitor

I have just bought a AR71ZU, got the same problem with you first, but now I installed all drivers including raid and sound card(really drove me mad!), now the problem is the Fn key, and all buttons couldn't be driven, anybody got any ideas? where to download the drivers and applicaions?