Join now - be part of our community!

Are you a BX297XP owner? please tell me what's the normal fan speed does it ever stops?

puch
Visitor

Are you a BX297XP owner? please tell me what's the normal fan speed does it ever stops?

The fan of my new (5 days) BX297XP keeps on running the same speed and never stops. On adaptive CPU speed (800 MHz) OR performance (2 GHz) it doesn't matter it keeps running steady without any change. Only after a "coldstart" it is not running for about 5 minutes then it starts running and never stops again. I begin to wonder what"s normal?? Even if I don't startup XP and keep it in the biosscreen without any action the fan keeps running, is that normal? Is there anybody on the forum who can tell me what's normal? Or better.. is there a BX297XP owner who knows it exactly?

What's normal in a Vaio Life".

Regards

3 REPLIES 3
sjoerdsantema
Visitor

Have the same problem. Havent found a solution yet. Will post if i've found it.

awillson
Visitor

hi,

i have the older version, the VP model, when i first brought it, the fan ran on and off for quite a long time. once i did bios upgrade the fan was always on. not a bother reali, it was pretty quiet. Then the fan got worse, it became louder and louder, until i could not hear myself think. so i sent it in for repair, they replaced the fan and reset the bios.

Now, the fan is very quiet, and runs only when it needs to be on.

Remember, the fan is effected by air flow under the laptop, since putting my laptop on a stand it is very quiet. Also depends on what materials the laptop is placed on. i.e. a bed, the computer will get very hot, and thus the fan will work harder and louder.

I was in the same situation as you, i just phoned up sony support and they requested my fan got replaced.

puch
Visitor

Dag Sjoerd,

Ik zag jouw reactie op mijn oproep voor een oplossing tbv het Vaio "fanprobleem".
Ik ben er inmiddels achter dat het probleem te maken heeft met fan klachten in het verleden. Sony heeft de (bios) software toen zo aangepast dat de fan continue op een gemiddelde snelheid draait (biosversie R0190X5) en dat is nou precies wat mij zo irriteert. Ik heb op aanraden van Sony daarom een vorige Biosversie (R0160X5) geinstalleerd. En inderdaad hij slaat nu onregelmatig aan en uit. Nadeel is dat ie onder "perfomance" belasting als een knipperlicht aan en uit gaat. Ik heb hem daarom op "adaptive" ingesteld en heb daarnaast een Zalman notebook cooler van het type ZM-NC 1000 (tussen 40 en 50 euro)gekocht. Deze combinatie werkt voor mij goed omdat de fan minder vaak aanslaat en de Zalman notebook cooler nauwelijks te horen is.
100% ideaal is het niet maar het neemt wel de ergernis weg. De temperatuur van de processor blijft ook redelijk stabiel rond en vaak onder de 50 graden.
De bios versie voor een downgrade kan je vinden op de site van sony vaio onder downloads en drivers.

Succes,