Join now - be part of our community!

AUTOPLAY PROBLEMS

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
hamlet35
New

AUTOPLAY PROBLEMS

Autoplay does not work when I insert a CD or DVD.  Have tried several things including checking in Device Manager and it says it is working okay.  Have also gone into command prompt and followed instructons in Sony Vaio Help & Support but it did not work.  Anyone got any ideas re solving this?  I have tried cleaning the drive also.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi hamlet35,

I have notived that there is an error in the body of the link I attached in my last post.

The decimal value for NoDriveTypeAutorun should be 145 NOT 91 as stated on that page (91 is the hexadecimal value)

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Hamlet35,

You haven't stated your model but assuming that you are running either Vista or Windows 7, open Control Panel > Classic View and double click on 'AutoPlay.

Here you can set the various options, but make sure that 'Use AutoPlay for all media and devices' is checked.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
hamlet35
New

Hello rich912

Thanks for replying.  My model is VGN-NR32s Notebook  using Vista which I have had for about 2 1/2 years.  Autoply used to work okay until abot 3 months ago but now does not work for CDs, DVDs and USB pen.  It does work when I connect mt MP3 player via a USB socket.  Very weird.

I have already tried your suggestion and everything else I can think of, such as removing extra DVDor CD player which I have added in case they were interfering.  I have been considering doing System Recovery but this seems a bit drastic as I know I will lose stuff off the C drive that I have forgotten to back up and it is a big step.

Any other help would be appreciated.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi hamlet35,

If you have not already done so try the following:

Close other programs that might be interfering.

1.      Click the Start button Picture of the Start button, click All Programs, click Accessories, and then right-click Command Prompt.

2.      Click Run as administrator.

3.      At the command prompt, type net start shellhwdetection, and then press ENTER.

4.      Restart your computer.

If that fails to resolve the problem then have a look at the following link:

http://vistasupport.mvps.org/autorun_autoplay_don%27t_work_when_cddvd_is_inserted.htm

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
hamlet35
New

Hi rich 192

Tried everything as you suggested in your email but frustratingly Autoplay till does not work.  Think I will give up and buy  an Apple Mac.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi hamlet35,

I have notived that there is an error in the body of the link I attached in my last post.

The decimal value for NoDriveTypeAutorun should be 145 NOT 91 as stated on that page (91 is the hexadecimal value)

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
hamlet35
New

Hello rich912

Thank you, thank you, thank you.  Autoplay is now working exactly as it should.  I wonder what on earth changed the registry!  It is very important that we are informed when a program or software changes things like this. I guess you must be a very advanced PC user or are you part of Technical Support?

Many thanks again

All the best

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi hamlet35,

I'm very pleased that all is now working as it should :slight_smile:

I have no idea what changed the registry value in this instance but installing third party programmes such as Roxio etc. have been known to cuase this problem.

No I am not part of Sony Tech Support, just a Vaio user that tries to help other members as and when I can.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat