Join now - be part of our community!

Backlight Failure - VGN-SZ2M/B

profile.country.GB.title
Mightfly
Explorer

Backlight Failure - VGN-SZ2M/B

The backlight has failed on my VGN-SZ2M/B after less than one month of use. I registered a case on www,vaio-link.com but am being ignored. I tried the telephone support and went through the usual list of mind numbing automated questions - only to be told that the warranty has expired and that I need to call a premium rate number.

I was warned about Sony's poor after sale support these days, and not to buy a Vaio. I should have listened more to such good advice.

Does anyone have any suggestions about getting Sony to take responsibility for faulty items that they sell? Or are they spending all their time running around like blue-xxxxx flies trying to replace batteries?

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Mayfly and welcome to the forum.

I am sorry to hear of your problem with Sony support.

You say that you have been using your Vaio for less than one month prior to the screen problem. I assume from this that the Vaio was new at purchase and therefore the warranty has not expired.

Given the above criterion it is unacceptable that you should be required to call a premium rate number. If you can please confirm the above I will escalate your post to Vaio Link.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

If it was purchased less than a month ago Sony really should be helping you out here, as it's well within warranty period. Even the store should be putting more preasure on Sony.

Also avoid buying PCs second hand.

profile.country.GB.title
Mightfly
Explorer

Rich,

Thanks for you comments. Yes it was new on purchase, but just outside the "Dead On Arrival" period which would have meant that it was replaced by the supplier.

Both the supplier and local Sony shop were reasonably helpful, but said they could do nothing other than go throught the same channels.

So I would be grateful if you could escalate this for me.

Hi Mayfly and welcome to the forum.

I am sorry to hear of your problem with Sony support.

You say that you have been using your Vaio for less than one month prior to the screen problem. I assume from this that the Vaio was new at purchase and therefore the warranty has not expired.

Given the above criterion it is unacceptable that you should be required to call a premium rate number. If you can please confirm the above I will escalate your post to Vaio Link.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Yes it was new on purchase, but just outside the "Dead On Arrival" period which would have meant that it was replaced by the supplier

I've escalated this case - hope it helps Mayfly.

:pray:

kee-lo_

Sorry but that's a load of b**locks - the machine is under warranty for 12 months, so if the backlight goes then Sony usually replace it. The only time they will ask you to pay is if they have reasonable belief that it was damaged purposely (eg no accident)

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Thanks for following up on this one Blencogo.

I have a feeling that this problem must be a result of a fault in the automated answering system - whatever happen to real people on the end of a phone :slight_frown:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
Mightfly
Explorer

Thanks - the escalation has definitely helped.

I am now in contact with customer support, and the warranty date has now been corrected.

Will post again when it has been fixed.

Long live forums (fora?). Down with automated "Customer Service" help lines.

Yes it was new on purchase, but just outside the "Dead On Arrival" period which would have meant that it was replaced by the supplier

I've escalated this case - hope it helps Mayfly.

:pray:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I am now in contact with customer support, and the warranty date has now been corrected

Hi Mayfly,

Good to know that the system works!! Good luck and let us known how things progress....

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
kee-lo_

That's good news.

Knew it was all nonsense