Join now - be part of our community!

Battery failure ?.... or something else ?

profile.country.en_GB.title
SuperStu99
Visitor

Battery failure ?.... or something else ?

My VPCF1 was running fine on the battery yesterday and would charge / discharge fine. Today however, unless I use the mains connector, the laptop will NOT boot up on battery alone. The diagnostic shows the battery connected and fully charged and with no faults, yet when I disconnect the mains power, the laptop dies. This laptop is only 13 months old with light use. Would the battery die over just 24 hrs ? or could there be another reason the laptop cannot access the battery power ?

Any help appreciated.

Stuart

Tags (3)
4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Stuart,

Yes, the battery can die at any time but there is normally an associated message to the effect that “no battery is detected”.

Try opening Control Panel > Device Manager and expand ‘Batteries’. Right click each device and select ‘Uninstall’ – then shut down and re-boot. Drivers will be re-installed on boot.

This should hopefully rule out a software/driver problem. Otherwise I would suspect a hardware issue.

You could also try shutting down, remove battery and power adaptor and hold down the power switch for up to 30 seconds. Re-attach battery and power adaptor and re-boot.

Ultimately try a reset to factory defaults using Vaio Recovery Utility – last resort obviously...

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
SuperStu99
Visitor

Rich.....

The battery is certainly seen by the laptop and gives all data, it just doesn't draw any power from the battery.

Can you explain 'Hardware issue' better please ?

I'll try these options tonight / tomorrow and report back.

thanks... Stuart

SuperStu99
Visitor

OK...  I've tried the 2 options of uninstall drivers etc... and the power down and hold the on/off button for 30 sec... neither of these have worked.

Factory reset is very much point of last resort. I'd like to acesrtain if the battery is really dead, but I guess the best way to confirm this is to find another battery and slot into the laptop or to use a multimeter to measure any output from this dead one.

Any other suggestions ?

thanks

Stuart

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hii Stuart,

Certainly testing the notebook with another known working battery is the way to go - getting hold of one for free may prove difficult.

If an alternative battery also fails to power the compuuter then  you could have a motherboard problem - possibly the power board.

Let us know how things go.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat