Join now - be part of our community!

Battery replacement OEM vs replacement for FW21L

profile.country.en_GB.title
peshyxp
Visitor

Battery replacement OEM vs replacement for FW21L

Any advice out there on this conumdrum

My laptop battery needs replacing and wanted to find out if any one has purchased a replacement battery ie not original Sony and how this has performed

Cheapest OEM sony batteries Ive seen on the internet for my laptop are around £90

Cheapest non originals are around £30 - £50

Hasanyone had any experience of the non Sony orginal batteries

I have read that there may be compatibility issues with non OEM items like batteries and ocassionally they may not function properly

Any advice feedback is appreciated since Im not that keen to spend around £90 on a battery!!

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi peshyxp.

Unfortunately, you get what you pay for.

I have heard many complaints that the £30 far-eastern imports are incompatible and do not work at all.  However, I have not heard of even one instance when a £30 battery has worked.  I have to admit that this may be because nobody complains if something works but I don't think I would risk it.

I have also heard that some of these manufacturers ship the battery with a BIOS Update that is meant to make the battery compatible.  Using this must risk bricking your Vaio.

Unless a lot of users now tell us they are happy with these batteries, I would steer well clear unless you can get a personal recommendation.  Getting your money back may be difficult.

:thinking: