Join now - be part of our community!

BIOS problem... PLEASE HELP!!!!

carolice
Visitor

BIOS problem... PLEASE HELP!!!!

Hello again!

I was just updating my VAIO through the normal UPDATE procedure, which pops up once in a while and prompts me to click on an icon to update my VAIO. As usual it opened up in Internet Explorer and I started clicking the items to download the latest on all the software/programmes it offered.

When it came to something called BIOS update, I clicked on it, it came up with a Warning Message first (don't Shut your computer, Don't let it Hibernate etc etc). It didn't take too long for it to complete updating, then it shut down. When I pressed the ON button to turn it on, it came up with a blank blue screen, as usual, but with nothing else on it, except the MENU Bar, which is always there, as part of VAIO. There are no Icons at all, no folders, no files, no MY Documents, not even a START, which I use to find my other programmes like Ms Word... I managed to open Firefox via the Menu pannel/bar... but otherwise, the screen is just plain blue, with no previously existing folders. I cannot even execute the option, where i can rebuild the settings of yesterday, by asking my computer to not keep the new updates of todays...

I have no idea what to do and how to make it look like it was before i did the BIOS update...

Could anyone kindly advise?

Thank you very much in advance!

I have just edited it to add the specification of my model:

VGN-FS115E

Many Thanks,

Alyona

12 REPLIES 12
littlebucko
Visitor

http://support.vaio.eu/downloads/preinstalled/preinstalled.asp?site=voe_en_GB_prof&m=1808
above is the link with all reinstalled drivers
this will get it all running again i have had a look for a bios rollback but had no luck the
only one a could find was in the better drivers and that might make it better but as it says
it is at your own risk on beta drivers as they dont get tested

remataklan
Visitor

Hello carolice!

to help you I need a bit more information. You described when you turn on your computer "it came up with a blank blue screen, as usual". Does that mean you see the Vaio Logo first, then the boot screen of Windows after that the Welcome screen of Windows. And when Windows should finally load the desktop with the icons on it, it stays with a blank blue screen. It this correct?

What you could do is

1)to laod the Bios defaults as described below.

Vaio Hardware/Software Knowledge Base - Solution 4002

Description:

How can I enter the BIOS and restore default values on my VAIO Notebook?

Solution:

1. Turn on your VAIO.
2. When you see the Sony logo, press F2 several times.
3. You will get the PhoenixBIOS Setup Utility window.
4. Press F9 to get default values and then press ENTER to confirm.
5. Press F10 to save changes and exit and then press ENTER to confirm.
6. You have restored the default values and your VAIO will now restart.

if this doesn't help you could

2) Press F8 after the Vaio Bios screen goes blank and open the Windows start menue. There you can choose to load the last known good configurtion.

if this doesn't help either

3) You may press F10 to make a recovery installtion. But be sure to restore only the first partion otherwise it will delete your personal data.

carolice
Visitor

Thank you so much to both of you!

Do I understand it correctly that both of you are suggesting that I need to restore the BIOS to default settings?

And both are merely suggesting 2 different ways of doing this?

Also, if I restore the default setting of BIOS, will I get all my files and folders back or are they all lost forever? this would be such a disaster.....

Many Thanks once again!

Alyona

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

It sounds like Explorer.exe has become corrupted. The probable answer is to carry out a System Restore to a date before you made the changes. I say Probable - I don't know if this will work in your case. If not you may have to run a repair.

Start -> All programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore

Choose to restore to a previous date and pick one before the problems.

Before you do that try this: -

Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to open Task Manager.
Click on the Processes Tab and then on Image Name (to sort alphabetically).
Is Explorer.exe there? If it is, right-click on it and choose End Process.
Click on the Applications Tab and then New Task.
Type Explorer.exe into the box and click OK.

:wink:

carolice
Visitor

Hi Blencogo!

Unfortunately I don't have a START option on my screen... it is just beautifully blue and plain....:(:(

I did call for the Task Manager, and when I looked for explorer.exe as you suggested, I didn't find it there...

When the Task Manager is on, when i click on APPLICATION, the only active ones are: Firefox, Vaio Launcher and Vaio Launcher Help.

What is really strange, I normally get small square messages from my MSN messenger popping up whenever I get a new email into my inbox. As it happens, it still does pop up from left upper corner of the screen, not below as it used to be, but out of nowhere as I don't have any icons at all.

Also, as soon as I MINIMIZE any of my Forefox screens, it all becomes invisible... For instance if I minimize the screen I am typing on now, it will just disappear and I will have to launch firefox again through VAIO menu bar/long pannel...

How very odd...

I am not sure which one of the first two posters' options is safer and less difficult to execute to restore to default... as my understanding of computer internal system is so vague and minimal:(:(

Thank you all very much for trying to help me!

Alyona.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Alyona,

When in the Task Manager Application Tab, did you try clicking on the New Task button, typing in Explorer.exe and clicking OK?

That should bring your Start button back!!

:thinking:

carolice
Visitor

I tried to do it just now... it attempts to do something.. judging by the sound, but nothing is actually happening...

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

It does sound like the file has become corrupted.

Try remataklan's second idea: -

1. Turn on your VAIO.
2. When you see the first Sony logo screen, press F8 several times.
3. Using the up/down keys choose "Safe Mode" and press Enter.
4. You will be offered the choice of opening in Safe Mode or going to System Restore.
5. Choose System Restore and try to backdate to a time before the problem.

If this fails we are looking at repairing corrupt files on your Vaio.

:slight_frown:

carolice
Visitor

Very strange......................

When I turn the Vaio on, and press F8 key as I get the Logo screen, the following messages appear:

System restart has been paused:

- Continue with System Restart
- Delete Restoration Data and proceed to system boot menu

When I Enter the former (Continue with System restart), it just continue with Windows Resumes etc etc... and I get the Blue screen, with nothing on and a black Vaio panel/menu....

When I Enter the latter, it also goes on, for just a moment it comes up with all the normal folders and settings, even START button was there... I sighed... and then SUDDENLY it all again disappeared and I again ended up with a Blue and blank screen and a Vaio panel/menu bar....

For some reason when I press F8 it doesn't give me the Safe Mode option... nor does it show me the System Restore...

Do you think I should follow remataklan's advice?

1. Turn on your VAIO.
2. When you see the Sony logo, press F2 several times.
3. You will get the PhoenixBIOS Setup Utility window.
4. Press F9 to get default values and then press ENTER to confirm.
5. Press F10 to save changes and exit and then press ENTER to confirm.
6. You have restored the default values and your VAIO will now restart.