Join now - be part of our community!

BIOS problem... PLEASE HELP!!!!

carolice
Visitor

BIOS problem... PLEASE HELP!!!!

Hello again!

I was just updating my VAIO through the normal UPDATE procedure, which pops up once in a while and prompts me to click on an icon to update my VAIO. As usual it opened up in Internet Explorer and I started clicking the items to download the latest on all the software/programmes it offered.

When it came to something called BIOS update, I clicked on it, it came up with a Warning Message first (don't Shut your computer, Don't let it Hibernate etc etc). It didn't take too long for it to complete updating, then it shut down. When I pressed the ON button to turn it on, it came up with a blank blue screen, as usual, but with nothing else on it, except the MENU Bar, which is always there, as part of VAIO. There are no Icons at all, no folders, no files, no MY Documents, not even a START, which I use to find my other programmes like Ms Word... I managed to open Firefox via the Menu pannel/bar... but otherwise, the screen is just plain blue, with no previously existing folders. I cannot even execute the option, where i can rebuild the settings of yesterday, by asking my computer to not keep the new updates of todays...

I have no idea what to do and how to make it look like it was before i did the BIOS update...

Could anyone kindly advise?

Thank you very much in advance!

I have just edited it to add the specification of my model:

VGN-FS115E

Many Thanks,

Alyona

12 REPLIES 12
remataklan
Visitor

If you get:

"System restart has been paused:

- Continue with System Restart
- Delete Restoration Data and proceed to system boot menu"

you have pressed F8 too early. This the boot screen of the Restoration Partition but you need to get to the boot screen of Windows. Wait to the second when the Vaio boot screen disappears. And then press F8 several times.

carolice
Visitor

Dear Blencogo, littlebucko and remataklan!

Thank you very much to you all for trying to help me!

IT WORKED!!!! Eventually.... pheeeeeeeeew....

What I did was, I realised (common sense, perhaps) that I couldn't really Shut Down properly, as I was just using the ON/OFF button, which means it was really hibernating, but not shutting down properly. Then I found I was able to SHUT DOWN using the Task Manager (as I didn't have the START). So, I SHUT it DOWN and pressed F8 when I turned it ON again. Is it happened it did come up with an option of starting it in a SAFE MODE (it probably didn't earlier, because I was hibernating it, not shutting down properly), which obviously allowed me to go to SYSTEM RESTORE and restore the date to when everything was fine.

Everything seems to be working well thanks to you all!

Thank you very much!

Best wishes and Viva VAIO CLUB!!

Alyona.

carolice
Visitor

Thank you remataklan!

I didn't see this post of yours, I was probably typing at the same time...

It all seems to be working after I had it Restored via System Restore!

Thank you once again!

Best Regards,

Alyona