Join now - be part of our community!

Bios update?

donkeyoaty
Visitor

Bios update?

Hi techy types!
Sorry to bother you guys again, but on checking for an update to my Ati 9200, I discovered I need a bios upgrade? Anyone know why and what does it do, the upgrade not the bios, that is.

Sorry I have a K115m

PS don't you just love Half life 2. It rocks, even on a laptop, with a 12 month old display driver. :thinking:

3 REPLIES 3
Woody27
Visitor

The BIOS is the Basic Input Output System of the computer. Here's a brief guide:

"The CPU in a PC needs a way of communicating with the many different hardware devices that are installed, each hardware device has its own special BIOS software which allows for this communication.

The BIOS contains special software instructions that enable the CPU to communicate with and control devices, it is usually stored in ROM and can be either built-in to the motherboard or on the device itself.

The main BIOS in a system is stored inside a microchip on your motherboard and is the first piece of software your computer runs when you (boot up) turn it on.

Many BIOS's are termed Flash BIOS and they can be updated with new information from the computer manufacturers."

However, problems can arise from BIOS updates:

If additional memory has been added to the computer the BIOS update may not be expecting it and fail!

Bios updates can also fail for other reasons (i.e. the update not dowloading correctly resulting in a slightly corrupted file).

If the BIOS update fails, it will no longer work correctly and the computer can no longer boot-up! THIS IS A SITUATION THAT CANNOT BE UNDONE (well cheaply anyway), YOUR COMPUTER MAY FAIL if the update does not work! :cry:

So my advice is... ...if it ain't broke don't fix it! :smileygrin:

If you do decide to update your BIOS remove any additional memory first!

NOTE: As for what the update does, who knows? Probabley very little of any real concern!

Good luck!

CW

PS Oh yeeeessss!!!! Half-Life 2 rocks! :smileygrin:

donkeyoaty
Visitor

Thanx dude.
I was just wondering what the update was actuly for as the about file says nothing?

Great costomer service from sony again, there not quite as bad as corel, but then who is.....
Corel sucks.
I'm having a bad time with Corel at the mo.
Bad Corel.
Evil Corel.
Smelly stinky poo corel.
Please answer my email Corel.
sob sob sob, I'm going back to Adobe after all of this.

That feels better, always better to get things off your chest.

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Hi!

I have a K115B system, and the update on VAIO-Link is for M$ Windows XP Service Pack 2 - for complete compliance. I think your using SuSE and bear in mind this update is for the system BIOS not the ATi Graphics chip - although this may cover it too but I doubt it.

Like CW said, probably not best to bother as it can mean an expensive repair if it goes wrong!!!:smileysad: