Join now - be part of our community!

Blu-ray problem on my brand new s series vaio

profile.country.en_GB.title
samwise_v
Visitor

Blu-ray problem on my brand new s series vaio

After weeks of waiting I finally got my hands on my new s series (i7, 6gb ram, 256gb ssd, AMD HD 6630M 1GB)

First thing i did when i got it was to complete a few updates etc

I had pre-emptively purchased the Lord of the Rings trilogy on blu-ray and thought i'd try it out on the new laptop (with the idea of watching it connected to my hd tv), and this is when a few strange problems occurred:

- blu-ray appears to play fine in both Stamina and Speed modes whilst plugged in

- blu-ray appears to play fine in Stamina mode (utilising integrated graphics) even when running on battery

- blu-ray DOES NOT play fine in Speed mode (utilising dedicated graphics) whilst running on battery. After screen flickering (to change colour settings i assume) I either get a Windows message about AMD Driver not responding, or it completely crashes whereby i get a blue screen (something about 'attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed')

I would have thought it would surely play better when it switches do the dedicated graphics card, as opposed the integrated intel, but alas it doesnt work at all.

I have performed a hardware test and couldnt find anything wrong, and i tried the Graphics/Speed mode (running on battery) to play the demo of Bullet which appears to work fine (very smooth and in high detail).

So is there a problem with my graphic card/drivers? Or is it just conflicting with the blu-ray software? (i am using the pre-installed PowerDVD to watch the bluray)

I have contacted Sony Support but so far not offered too many solutions and now saying i can get it repaired or get it replaced, but that would mean another 2-3 week wait. In terms of the problem, I guess it is avoidable in that running on battery i just make sure i stay in Stamina mode to watch blu-ray (which would also ensure that the battery wont run out halfway through the film....) but then having spent a lot of money on this i want it all to work perfectly.

Has anyone else experience any similar problems? Any thoughts/suggestions?

Message was edited by: samwise_v

Tags (2)
1 REPLY 1
profile.country.sv_SE.title
stoneedge
Visitor

Hello,

I also have a new S series (VPCSE) and can only play blu-ray movies if I'm in STAMINA mode (Battery or not). The error message I get is that the Graphics card driver is not compatible when running in SPEED mode and trying to play Blu-ray movies..