Join now - be part of our community!

Brand new Windows 8 VAIO SVT1511C5E WiFi Drops connection

profile.country.en_GB.title
Radaghast
Visitor

Brand new Windows 8 VAIO SVT1511C5E WiFi Drops connection

I have followed the tips on not allowing the computer to turnoff the WiFi adaptor, power settings, BUT the connection to my router just randomly drops! as I have other computers connected that don't drop connection I know it MUST be something on the new laptop / windows 8!

This is very annoying especially whenI'm inthe middle of a Skype call to a business meeting!

Does anyone have the real solution to this please?

Thanks

Tags (3)
13 REPLIES 13
shajid99
Visitor

I am also having the same issue, I just dont understand it, I have the same model, have you had any luck?

Unbelievable, using a wifi dongle instead !!

Thanks

Radaghast
Visitor

Not so far. I'm swapping emails with Sony support, not impressed at all as they just sent a lot of basic stuff that involves virtually reloading all the operating system / deleting the WiFi adaptor and re adding it. The latter being the only connectivity related suggestion!

Interesting that you can work okay using a dongle, makes me think maybe a driver compatibility issue maybe?

Can you share details of your router and dongle please?

Thanks

Mike

shajid99
Visitor

Hi Mike.

I'm using a Virgin / Netgear Wireless N Cable Gateway Router Modem VMDG280 and a standard n dongle, picked up from ebay.

I'm considering whether to change the router, whats your router ?

Thanks

Radaghast
Visitor

I have a Netgear WNR1000 v3 (N150) connected to a BT Openreach modem. drivers and firmware all up-to-date.

As I don't have any issues withh my Windows & or XP laptops I don't see any logic inn replacing the router as it is working fine.

Have you contacted Sony and reported your issue? I'd be interested in hearing if you got the same 'support 101 standard response' as I did. you'd think they'd at least target their tests based on the specific issue and not just trot out the old favourites, only one step up from 'have you tried switching it offf and on again?' !!very poor I feel.

tim-dadd
Explorer

I have exactly the same issue, just bought a new Sony, model # SVP1321CSE and it's continually dropping out, I've reconfigured my wifi for 802.1g removed b incase and moved away from WEP encryption to WPA so basically using reasonably modern wifi standards in case Sony haven't tested on slightly older PCs.

Try downloading office or anything - it's a complete joke, the connection just drops every 3-4 mins, Sony clearly have a serious fault with their WiFi solution and need to fix it

tim-dadd
Explorer

A further update, if you turn off all encryption so everyone in the world can connect to your network then the VAIO internet connection seems reasonably secure, so clearly something is wrong with the way Sony/Intel's firmware deals with encryption.

To try an find out what this is can everyone just check what WiFi driver they have on their PC.  I have Intel Wireless-N 7260, V16.0.1.1 dated 28/3/13

I've changed a few config settings that might improve stability

If you have windows 8 and press the windows button you can find Intel Pro Set and run a logging, I'm going to turn this on and sent to Sony to show it was working and then just dropped out.  But with no encryption turned on then just completely stable.  The problem is that Sony support is complete rubbish, every time you write to them they treat you like a complete newbie and when you have a rational discussion about why that cannot be the problem they just go back to their standard scripts.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi everyone.

This sounds like it may be a firewall issue.

Can I ask which Firewall/Internet Security software you are using?

If you are using Norton or a product other than the preinstalled McAfee Internet Security, have you completely removed McAfee first?  The Family Protection Module in McAfee appears to conflict with other firewalls and blocks downloads etc.

McAfee must be removed completely if you are using any other product by running the McAfee Removal Tool (MRCP.EXE) which can be downloaded from the McAfee website.  Uninstall as much as you can in Add/Remove Programs before running MRCP.EXE.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

:thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
wes.williams
Explorer

Yep, got my Vaio laptop (SVE1513M1EW) three days ago and its forever dropping out. Both in wireless and ethernet cable connection. Other PCs on the router don't, so we can't blame that. Conclusion: VAIO is at fault and the techies need to fix the problem.

Temporary fix for downloading.

If you can pause a download in your browser then continue it, the download should start again from where it stopped.(Firefox: click green arrow top right, right click on current download for pause/restart).

However if you aren't using IE or FF, but anything else (VAIO update is therefore hopeless) you are screwed!!

Guys, try to uncheck PnP in router, sometimes firewall build in the router thinks that your comuter is a threat, hope this help

Alex