Join now - be part of our community!

Broken WLAN switch??

profile.country.en_GB.title
vijsingh
Visitor

Broken WLAN switch??

I switched on my AR61M today and it didnt pick up any wireless networks and then I noticed the WLAN light was not showing on the front of the laptop so I flicked the switch on only to find it was already switched on but the light was not on.
When I try to connect it thinks that the wireless tab is switch off but it isnt. Ive tried rebooting but still no luck.

HELP :slight_frown:

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Double-click on the green (or blue) square in your taskbar to open the Wireless Device Switch window.

Make sure 2.4GHz wireless LAN is selected and 5GHz deselected.

:wink:

vijsingh
Visitor

Tried that, it was already on 2.4 :slight_frown:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hum - sometimes these things fix themselves in Vista after a few reboots.

Check in Network Connections that your wireless LAN shows as "CONNECTED".

If not, click on it and try 'CONNECT'.

If no joy, go to Device Manager and check your wireless adapter is installed and working correctly. You will find it under NetworkAdapters.

:thinking:

vijsingh
Visitor

Hum - sometimes these things fix themselves in Vista after a few reboots.

Check in Network Connections that your wireless LAN shows as "CONNECTED".

If not, click on it and try 'CONNECT'.

If no joy, go to Device Manager and check your wireless adapter is installed and working correctly. You will find it under NetworkAdapters.

:thinking:

In Network Connections its showing 'Not connected'

In Device Manager it is showing as 'This device is working properly.'

could it be a hardware issue?

vijsingh
Visitor

I was in Network and Sharing Center and was playing with the WLAN switch flicking it left and right then the light came on and it started connecting.................. I then flicked the switch off to see if if it was sorted and would work fine but it didnt comeback on :cry:

was it stupid of me to turn it back off :thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

It sounds like a hardware issue with the switch if the problem is intermittent. You were probably right all along.

Time to phone Sony Support? They will almost certainly ask you to carry out a System Recovery to eliminate any software causes.

:slight_frown:

vijsingh
Visitor

I used system recovery to go back a day and the WLAN is now working, im afraid to turn it back off incase it doesn't come back on.

profile.country.GB.title
dapowel2886
Explorer

I have been havings problems with the WiFi switch on my AR11S. It is definately breaking down and only works when I push it as far right as possible and even then it sometimes fails. A friend has suggested it may be possible to bypass the switch having it turned on permantly but I'm not sure how to do this. If anybody can help please let me know.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I used system recovery to go back a day and the WLAN is now working, im afraid to turn it back off incase it doesn't come back on.

Hi vaioAR61M,

I agree with Blencogo that Sony support is the best option...

However in the meantime you could try leaving the wireless switch in the on position and try turning the wireless LAN off or on via the Wireless Switch Utility in your system tray.. :wink: