Join now - be part of our community!

Can't find my wireless netgear router!

FranzH
Visitor

Can't find my wireless netgear router!

Hey again!

I keep on having this problem... it doesn't happen all the time and it sceems to do it randomly and is a HUGE annoyance!

I have my internet connection wireless and i have a netgear wireless router. My Vaio T1XP is wireless ready and it finds my wireless network connection, however, now and again it can't find it! I havent touched anything, changed any settings, nothing at all. It can stay like that for a good few hours and then randomly become found again. I'm not sure what is the problem :cry:
By the way.. while i was writing this it lost the connection!

Help!!

37 REPLIES 37
FranzH
Visitor

The router is a Netgear 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Router DG834G v2

William
Visitor

I would change the Wireless channel of the Router until you get the most stable connection.

1, 7, or 13 (Europe) are probably the best bets as they are non-ovrerlapping channels.

IMPROVING WIRELESS RANGE

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Great graph William!
It could also be a problem with your actual netgear router.
Mine started disconnecting at will, and denying access to browsers.
(Although there could also be a possible program conflict)

Netgear advise unplugging the router for a couple of minutes. LOL

William
Visitor

Jumpy,

Yes you are right I forgot about that, did it help you?

If my Netgear Network plays up,slows down or loses it's internet connection a power off/on usually cures it.

Recently however, I had to change from channel 11 to 9 as my desktop (furthest away from Access point) kept losing its wireless connection. Don't know why there are no new networks detected?

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

A friend of mine changed to 7 and said it wasn't as good as 13

FranzH
Visitor

I changed it to 7 and it sceems to be working fine...

I used to have to keep resetting the router and going through the whole set up again and again because turning it al off and back on wouldn't work for me

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

No problem

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Yeah I turned mine off (for a month LOL) but since turning it back on it seems to be behaving itself.

It would be interesting to see how many of us are using a netgear router whilst running zonealarm.

William
Visitor

Yeah I turned mine off (for a month LOL) but since turning it back on it seems to be behaving itself.

It would be interesting to see how many of us are using a netgear router whilst running zonealarm.

I use Zonealarm with a Netgear Router, Netgear Modem & Netgear Wireless Access Point.

I used to use a Netgear Print Server with it too. :smileygrin: