Join now - be part of our community!

Can't find my wireless netgear router!

FranzH
Visitor

Can't find my wireless netgear router!

Hey again!

I keep on having this problem... it doesn't happen all the time and it sceems to do it randomly and is a HUGE annoyance!

I have my internet connection wireless and i have a netgear wireless router. My Vaio T1XP is wireless ready and it finds my wireless network connection, however, now and again it can't find it! I havent touched anything, changed any settings, nothing at all. It can stay like that for a good few hours and then randomly become found again. I'm not sure what is the problem :cry:
By the way.. while i was writing this it lost the connection!

Help!!

37 REPLIES 37
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

William Could you please let me know what model netgear print server you have and why did you stop using it as I was thinking of getting one?

William
Visitor

Hi Thal,

Its a PS110 with two parallel ports and I only stopped using it because I migrated to a HP4100N with its own Print Server (Jetdirect Card) fitted.

It provided three years troublefree service with two printers attached and apart from the initial setup (the supplied installation software was a pain) was great.

My newest Colour Printer is USB and I have networked that by attaching it to the desktop PC on my network.

I intend putting it on fleabay but never seem to get round to it.

William
Visitor

I've currently share my printer printer across the network but I don't like the fact that I have to have my desktop turned on when sometimes I just want to print from Vaio. :slight_frown:

I know exactly what you mean but I seldom use my colour printer so I make do.

The 4100 was a bit of an overkill but the B/W quality is good and I don't have to worry too much costwise when the children press the "print" button.

I did it myself the other day, I printed out a copy of a web page. When I went to the printer there were 48 pages :cry:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I've currently share my printer printer across the network but I don't like the fact that I have to have my desktop turned on when sometimes I just want to print from Vaio. :slight_frown:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Seems a popular choice.

I use Zonealarm with the Netgear DG834GT and WG511T. Works fine although I can only use Channel 6 to get 108Mbps.

ZoneAlarm seems to Block a very high number of incoming packets and port scans that the Netgear lets through!

I sometimes wonder if the hardware firewall works!

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Seems a popular choice.

I use Zonealarm with the Netgear DG834GT and WG511T. Works fine although I can only use Channel 6 to get 108Mbps.

ZoneAlarm seems to Block a very high number of incoming packets and port scans that the Netgear lets through!

I sometimes wonder if the hardware firewall works!

I have the same netgear router which seems to pick up and stop all of the packet & port scans.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Thalamus,

Are you using just the default settings for the router or have you customised the firewall rules? I must admit the instructions are woolly!

On the subject of Print Servers, do you know if they allow two-way communication? Do they feed back printer status and Ink levels for example?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Thalamus,

Are you using just the default settings for the router or have you customised the firewall rules? I must admit the instructions are woolly!

On the subject of Print Servers, do you know if they allow two-way communication? Do they feed back printer status and Ink levels for example?

No basicly default setting for the firewall inbound anyway is set to block always. :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I have not currently purchased a print server yet, the one William was talking about earlier is the PS110 maybe he will answer the question for you. :slight_smile:

Edit:

Netgear FAQ quotes 'The print server works best when the bi-directional function is disabled'.
So i guess that problems can occur if bi-directional is enabled.

William
Visitor

To answer the question:

Unless technology has moved on no Netgear Print Server supports two way communication and this is probably the same for other manufacturers..

Tjhere is no status reporting regarding Paper Levels or ink remaining.

Similarly, print servers do not support multi function Printers.

I believe this is a limitation of all network print servers.