Join now - be part of our community!

Can't find my wireless netgear router!

FranzH
Visitor

Can't find my wireless netgear router!

Hey again!

I keep on having this problem... it doesn't happen all the time and it sceems to do it randomly and is a HUGE annoyance!

I have my internet connection wireless and i have a netgear wireless router. My Vaio T1XP is wireless ready and it finds my wireless network connection, however, now and again it can't find it! I havent touched anything, changed any settings, nothing at all. It can stay like that for a good few hours and then randomly become found again. I'm not sure what is the problem :cry:
By the way.. while i was writing this it lost the connection!

Help!!

37 REPLIES 37
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

I find it interesting 2 of us using z/a/ have had problems with Netgear routers. The question has to be asked if there is some kind of conflict that isn't instantly obvious.

Blencogo - nothing should really be getting through the router. I went from a couple of thousand hits on z/a per day to about 8-10 max after using the router. (The instructions are extremely wolly though aren't they? lol)
Again I wonder if there is a conflict between router and z/a.

William
Visitor

Based on the previous post I just looked in my log and Zonealarm has only had to block ONE incoming from outside Presumably thats since I last reinstalled, I prefer that to upgrading.

I have never had any issues with Zonealarm and Netgear boxes, they seem to coexist very happily.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Print servers usually do this, but check with the manufacturer

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Like you William, I've just checked my ZA firewall log and I have had 50 medium/high incoming blocks in two hours. I must have either the firewall or the Netgear configured wrongly.

Most of the blocks are port scans from interesting parts of the world - Iran, Moscow, Peru etc and these are obviously getting through the router's firewall. Several others seem to be incomings originating from my ISP but i haven't noticed any problems.

The Netgear DG834GT firewall is on the default setting of 'Block All' for incoming - is this right?

Has anyone had problems with VSMon.exe. It doesn't affect my desktop but on my laptop it occasionaly demands 100% of my processor and I see it is using 25MB of memory. I think it is a log file for firewall blocks in ZA.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Blencogo,

That does sound strange as my router is set to default setting of 'Block All' for incoming and althought the router records the hits nothing seems to get passed.

If my memory is correct I think William is using the Zonealrm suite, so maybe thats a better firewall:smileyconfused:

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Yep VSmon can use a large amount of cpu from tim to time -though the most I've ever caught it using is 46%

Interestingly enough since I lost z/a (see other thread) I've had no connectivity problems with the router - although this could well be pure coincidence.

FranzH
Visitor

:cry: The problem is still happening! After i changed the channels it was working fine and a few minutes ago it started playing up! :angry: I have no idea what to do!

FranzH
Visitor

Ive downloaded the Intel PROSet/Wireless thing and thats ok but the router sceems to still have that problem

FranzH
Visitor

Im just upgrading the firmware for the router but i doubt that will do anything, the new features didn't say anything that may suggest it would fix my problem but well see..

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Im just upgrading the firmware for the router but i doubt that will do anything, the new features didn't say anything that may suggest it would fix my problem but well see..

This morning I updated my Netgear DG834GT Router to ( Firmware Version 1.02.04, Published: Jan. 17, 2006.) and my Netgear WG511T Wireless PCMCIA card (Driver version: 4.0.0.140, Published March 3, 2006)

I have noticed a stronger signal & improved performance :smileygrin: