Join now - be part of our community!

Can't install XP on VAIO FE31Z!!!

getaceres
Visitor

Can't install XP on VAIO FE31Z!!!

Hello, I've received the Vista Express Upgrade and I've installed it to a separate partition leaving my XP install in its place (I also have Ubuntu installed). I installed all the drivers and I've updated the BIOS. Now I want to install Vista in the main partition and install XP in a secondary one (smaller partition) I boot with the system rescue DVD in the drive (generated in my current XP install), some letters appear in screen for less then a second and then the screen stays black and the disk spinning but nothing happens. I have waited a few minutes but the screen doesn't change and the disks keeps spinning. I have tried with some other Windows XP Professional installation CDs and the result is the same. The screen goes black and the disk keeps spinning but nothing happens. I have installed XP before in some PCs and I know the installation process, it should not take this longer to start the text installation mode. Even Vista shows something in screen and the Ubuntu Live CD boots in the time I have waited the XP CD to do something.
What is happening? Could it be the BIOS Update? It's the Serial ATA drive? How can I install Windows XP in my notebook?

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I would format the drive and remove the partitions manually so it can do it for itself during the reinstall.

getaceres
Visitor

The problem with that is that it would install XP on drive C but I want it in drive D and to have Vista in C so when I'm satisfied with Vista I could remove the XP install without having to reformat the entire drive. Having 3 operating systems and some security/backup partitions full of important data is useless if you have to format the entire drive every time one operating system fails.
Also I don't know if removing the partitions would help because the installation process don't even start for a Retail copy of Windows XP.