Join now - be part of our community!

CD drive not working, VAIO PCG-5K1M

profile.country.en_GB.title
Fansteroni
Visitor

CD drive not working, VAIO PCG-5K1M

Hello there,
The CD and DVD drive on my Sony VAIO PCG-5K1M has stopped working, for no apparent reason. It's not recognised, and nothing apart from an initial whirring noise happens when I put a CD or DVD in the drive. It opens and closes fine, but that's about it. Any ideas on what can be done?
Many thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Fansteroni and welcome.

Please check in Device Manager to see if there is a Yellow "!" Error message against your DVD/CD-ROM Drive.  If there is an error, please supply the error code.

Also can you check for the correct Vaio model - you will find it on the screen surround.

VAIO Model.png

:thinking:

Fansteroni
Visitor

Hello Blencogo,
Thanks for replying and apologies for my late response! There is indeed a yellow exclamation mark, and it says: PIONEER DVD-RW DVRKD08 ATA Device.
The model is VGN-CR31Z
Hope this is what you need, grateful for any advice!
Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Fasteroni.

Double-click on the drive in Device Manager - What error code is Device Manager reporting?  If it is code 19, 31, 32, 39 or 41 then a small registry edit should sort the problem.

The following involves changes to the registry and I recommend that you set a System Restore Point.

Then:

1.Press the ‘Windows’ key and press R. In the Run box type: REGEDIT  and hit enter. For Vista/Win7, type REGEDIT into the search box and open it).

2. Navigate to –

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

click on this and locate UpperFilters in the right-hand window, (if it exists) right click on this and select Delete and then OK.

3. Under the same Registry Key locate LowerFilters, (if it exists) right click on this and select Delete and then OK.

4. Quit Registry Editor and re-boot the computer, new registry values will be created that will hopefully cure the problem.

After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, you may possibly need to re-install your burning software if it doesn't work – but this is only rarely needed.

Good Luck!

:wink:

Fansteroni
Visitor

Thanks for your swift reply! The error code says 39. I will try what you suggested, but don't know how to set a System restore point. Sorry to be dim, but could you please explain this bit first?
Thank you so much!

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Does this link help?

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/create-a-restore-point-for-windows-vistas-system-restor...

It is just a safeguard in case something gets changed in the Registry by accident.  If you are careful, it is not that important.

:wink: