Join now - be part of our community!

CD/DVD drive not working

profile.country.fi_FI.title
innanealis
Visitor

CD/DVD drive not working

Hi,

I have less than a year old Vaio laptop (with windows 7) and the problem is now that the CD/DVD player won't work.

It won't open if I push the eject-button on the tray or use eject on Windows. I can get it open if put a pin into a little hole in the tray (so there's nothing actally blocking from opening). But if I put a disc in, my laptop doesn't recognise that there's a disc in.

I already called the place the laptop was bought from but they said that the guarantee doesn't cover fixing the problem as it probably isn't actually physical and they said I should reinstall the whole OS.

Any suggestions what I could try before that? I would really like to avoid reinstalling OS.

I would be really thankful for any advice!

(And sorry for any mistakes or weird ways of saying things, thats all because english isn't my first language.)

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

The DVD/CD drive uses generic Windows drivers - so it probably isn't that.

Please just check for me in Device Manager -> DVD/CD-ROM Drives if there are any yellow warnings ! showing?

:thinking:

profile.country.fi_FI.title
innanealis
Visitor

At least I can't see any warnings, and I think I managed to look for them in the right place.

And sorry, i should've probably used word player insted of driver in the headline. I keep mixing terms (sorry, I'm not actually really good with computers).