Join now - be part of our community!

Change VGN-S2HP's Hard Disk

ztfio
Visitor

Change VGN-S2HP's Hard Disk

Hi all,

Since I've had some fun with my S2HP, installing Linux, formatting HD again and again... but finally found that a 40Go / 4200rpm disk was too slow a short, i've decided to change this disk for something like a 5400rpm, 80Go, 8Mo cache one.
But before I start opening the laptop, I'd like to know if the HD's size is a standard one (2.5" i think ? Ultra-ATA ?), and if there's an easy way to extract the old disk and replace it.
I think that all i'll have to do then is to install back XP Pro with the licence given with the laptop, and download / install the drivers and utilities from this site. Am I right 'til there ?
Ok last question now : I wanted to upgrade the memory but, as for the Hard Disk, i found that Sony's pricing was a little bit... let's say... "funny" for an extra 512 DDR PC2700 333. So i bought one and when I tried to insert it... it didn't fit, beceause it was far too large. What I ordered was a PC-2700 333Mhz DDR-SDRAM 512 Mo thing. Was I right and did Sony sone kind of "proprietary" RAM ? Was I drunk and should I have ordered something else ?
Thanks for your help ! And sorry for my bad english !

Emmanuel

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Welcome to CV Emmanuel.

As far as the memory question is concerned, download Everest Home Edition (it is free). This will give you the full rundown on what RAM is in your notebook.

Sorry, can't help on the HD question.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
ztfio
Visitor

Thanks anyway, that's a first step ! Hopefully I'll have soon a S2HP 1Go / 80Go a little bit cheaper that Sony's prices !

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Personally I wouldn't open it, you'll void the warranty.

ztfio
Visitor

Sure, but let's say the warranty is not a problem.

kee-lo_

The people of vaiovillage.com know more about it.

ztfio
Visitor

Thank you Kee-Lo !

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

When you are ready to buy more RAM, visit http://www.crucial.com and use the Memory Matcher.

As for Windows XP Pro, you will have to reactivate this through Microsoft.

lazybones
Visitor

by the cringe, but you're brave

nowt rong wiv yer inglish

i want to upgrade ram to 1 gb and am looking at crucial.com; their prices are reasonable and i hope compatibility is not going to be an issue.

gluck

chow4now

kee-lo_

Their support line is great.