Join now - be part of our community!

Choppy video/audio and slow performance (S4XP)

profile.country.GB.title
FlexiPack
New

Choppy video/audio and slow performance (S4XP)

Hi,

I would really appreciate some advice. Since yesterday my laptop cannot play music or video without constant stuttering. It also slows my system down too. I've also noticed my mouse pointer jumping instead of smoothly moving across the screen. Things seem to be taking longer to load. Every thing is generally slower. I've not changed any drivers. In the task manager the cpu usage is not unusual for what my machine is doing. I've got mobile meter and the cpu temp is between 55 & 60 degrees whilst having a few progs running. Hdd is 43 degrees whilst not loading anything.

the cpu speed cycles between 800mhz and 2.0 ghz, i presume this is normal for the Pentium M processor?

I haven't tried reinstalling any drivers as most likely i will do a complete reinstall when i get home and keep fingers crossed it rectifies it. I just wondered if anyone has had a similar problem. I had a dell laptop prior to this and when that a similar audio playback problem it turned out to be the audio component on the motherboard needed replacing. I sincerely hope that's not the case this time.

thanks for your time

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Mcflynnster,

The temperatures you report are fine (if a tad high) for the processor in your notebook, so passive cooling can be ruled out. Also the CPU speed cycling between 800mhz and 2.0 ghz is also normal if Adaptive mode is selected.

A driver or component issue may be the cause but, if you have not already done so, I would recommend that you first carry out a full virus and malware scan.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Try switching to performance mode?

profile.country.GB.title
FlexiPack
New

thanks for your replies

I've run spyware and virus check, nothing has shown up. I've also removed and reinstalled the latest video and audio drivers all to no avail.

Where do i set performance mode? I haven't changed any settings though so this wouldn't explain the sudden change in system performance. Besides that, playing an mp3 is a basic task and the fact it can't do that is worrying.

Since my last post i've noticed my CPU temp going as high as 69 degrees. Is this something i should be concerned about? Does anyone know of a good step by step guide for taking apart my s4xp so i can clean the vents?

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

There should be a power pannel in your system tray to change it.

As for the tempreture it's very high, I'd suggest getting some compressed air and cleaning the vents.