Join now - be part of our community!

Clone hdd and boot recovery

giwrgio
New

Clone hdd and boot recovery

Hi,

Recently I bought an ssd to replace my old hard disk. I cloned the hdd to the ssd and although windows boot and seems to function properly I can't boot the recovery partition. Any help would be appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi giwrgio and welcome.

You don't tell us which Vaio model you have and how old it is.

It sounds to me like the Recovery Partition is incompatible with the new SSD.  This could happen if your original hard drive was a 'standard format' drive, which would have been formatted at 512 Bytes per Sector, but your new SSD is an 'advanced format' drive, which is probably formatted at 4096 Bytes per Sector.  As the cloning is a sector by sector copy, and the Recovery Partition is not Advanced Format aware, anything from the Recovery Partition will not recognise the SSD.

As Windows is AF aware, everything else should work OK on an AF drive.  If you give us your Vaio model, we can check if the original HDD was formatted with 512 Bytes per Sector.

:thinking:

giwrgio
New

Thanks for your immediate response.

My laptop model is sve1513k1esi with a 750gb hitachi hts547575a9e384 and I'm trying to clone it to a 240gb samsung 840 evo ssd. How can I find if they are 'standard or advanced' formatted?

When I tried to clone the hdd with macrium reflect program it cloned the disk except the recovery partition and kept saying 'not all partitions cloned. insufficient space',  even if I selected only the recovery partition to clone, which is 28gb. Finally I managed to clone the disk with acronis true image but then recovery partition didn't boot, so I was wondering if it is somehow "locked" by sony and cannot be cloned to another disk.