Join now - be part of our community!

Computer Clock Loses Time

elishajosh
Visitor

Computer Clock Loses Time

Hi All, I bought my laptop one week ago (SZ Series - SZ4XWN) but whenever I switch it off or restart it loses some minutes and when I switch it off for say two hour it loses the same amount of time!! And sometimes even if it is not off it fail to catch up with time, it loses some minutes!!I am very suprised!

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.en_GB.title
micdonal
Visitor

This happened to me with a Toshiba laptop about a year ago. It turned out to be a motherboard problem and I sent it back. Unfortunately they didn't have another one and I had to be satisfied with a credit note until I decided which replacement to buy. I didn't want a repaired mother board in a 2 week old Qosmio - my choice.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi elishajosh and welcome to Club Vaio.

Quackers88's answer is possibly correct but it is the most pessimistic cause and quite unlikely to be the problem.

Try these things first before calling Sony Support for a repair: -

Check your regional time zone settings. Start -> Control Panel - Clock, Language and Region -> Date & Time.

Under Date & Time check your Time Zone and reset it if necessary.

Under Internet Time -> Change Settings try a different Time Sever from the drop down list. If you are set to time.windows.com try using time.nist.gov. Click on 'Update Now' and make sure your time is correct.

If this works but you continue to lose time when turned off, then it is likely that yous CMOS battery has failed and needs replacement.

It is also worth checking that you have all Microsoft Updates installed - I seen to remember there were updates to do with Time Zones recently.

:wink: