Join now - be part of our community!

Connect Video Camera to VGN-AR31E

rawprawn
Visitor

Connect Video Camera to VGN-AR31E

Sorry for the silly question but how do I do this, I asked the salesman if it had Firewire and he said yes, but I can't find the port.

3 REPLIES 3
rawprawn
Visitor

OK, another question. Is Sony ILink exactly the same as my ordinary firewire? I have been looking on the net and have a suspision that the connection to the computer is slightly different, which would account for me not being able to find it.

davemee
Visitor

Hi, RawPrawn.

There are two types of Firewire connector, 4-pin and 6-pin. 6-pin is the big, chunky one, and provides power down the wire. Sony ship the 4-pin smaller socket, which lacks power. You can get adapters to convert a 4 to a 6 pin socket and vice versa, but if the device is expecting power via a 6-pin cable and you plug the other end into a 4-pin socket, obviously, it's not going to work.

For cameras, it's fine. For external drives, it's a bit annoying; I have a few drives where FW would provide enough power for it, but cos sony use this annoying 4-pin slot, I have to install an external power socket as well. Strangely, every PC laptop I've had with firewire has insisted on the 4-pin version. I wish they'd sort it out.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi rawprawn,

Davemee is right - all laptops, including your Vaio, only have a 4-pin S400 i.Link port.

Inside the flap on the right of your AR-Series Vaio, it is the small rectangular port to nearest to the front of the Vaio.

:wink: