Join now - be part of our community!

Connecting Sony Vaio laptop to Sony Bravia TV

Tawnyhill
Visitor

Connecting Sony Vaio laptop to Sony Bravia TV

I have a Vaio VGN-NS20E/S laptop and a Bravia KDL-40W5500 TV; I'm sure they can be connected to view the laptops contents on the TV screen. Can anyone help with how I can do this? I'm not very good with technical bits and pieces so if you can help you'd have to explain in layman terms. Thanks very much, David.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
iancandler
Explorer

Its very easy and there are two ways.

The first will display you laptop screen on the TV and allow you to use it as a large computer monitor.

For this you will need to buy a VGA monitor lead, connect this between your laptops VGA/monitor out socket and the VGA socket on the back of the bravia, then in the menu on the bravia choose PC and you will see your screen.

You will not get audio as well though, in order to do that you will need to connect a 3.5mm to 3.5mm stereo jack lead from the audio out of the laptop to the audio in of the bravia.

The second method is to use the DNLA built into the bravia, with this you can access songs, video and pictures on your laptop.

To set up you will need a network (cat 5) cable.

Connect this to your TV's Network socket, then connect the other end either to your laptop or if you have a wireless router to it instead.
Add the bravia to your home network, (it should happen automatically, if not follow the instructions in your TV's manual on setting up DNLA)
Once you have this done, use the menu to access the network settings and make sure vaio is showing in the server list.

If it is then just use the menu on the TV to scroll to pictures,music or video then browse the folders and choose the file you want to play, it will then be streamed wirelessly from your laptop to the tv.
Be aware that not all file types will play, but if you have sony media centre on your laptop (which you should have) it will convert most file types on the fly.

The last method is great for watching movies you have downloaded, viewing photographs and listening to music you have downloaded.

profile.country.en_GB.title
markj1993
Visitor

Very easy, connect a HDMI cable to the TV then hold down the 'Fn' key and press 'F7' until the picture is displayed on the TV. :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
iancandler
Explorer

That wont work on his model Mark, his has no HDMI out on it.

Is it possible to connect my sony vaio laptop (SVE1513B4E) to my sony bravia tv( model KDL-40EX524) by

1/hardwire via HDMI cable and if so what are the settings on the tv

2/By wireless connection.

3/ By the new throw system ?

Thank you.