Join now - be part of our community!

connecting vaio vgn-txihp to sony bravia 32" tv (KDL-S32A12U)

nick_harambee
Visitor

connecting vaio vgn-txihp to sony bravia 32" tv (KDL-S32A12U)

hello

i have just purchased a sony vaio vgn-tx1hp laptop and a Sony Bravia KDL-S32A12U TV. the reason i bought these 2 models was that both have the same resolution (1366x768). i have quite a lot of movies stored on hard drives, and thus often want to connect up a laptop to a tv to watch them (using a vga cable). i have just tried doing this with this new equipment, and when i set the output resolution of the notebook to anything above 1024x768, i get a message on the TV saying 'out of range'. i have just phoned sony technical support and they told me that this was a limitation of this setup, but they were not convincing. initially they tried to tell me that it was a limitation of the graphics card on the laptop, but this cannot be so, as there are 1366x768 settings for both the notebook and the monitor. so i am left with the possibility that the TV is only able to accept a 1024x768 resolution which seems crazy to me given that both TV and laptop have the same native resolution.

can anyone help with this?

thanks

nick

4 REPLIES 4

i have a S5XP/B - 1280x800 & a lcd tv - 1024x768 (got to love that problem with resolutions i had)

my solution was to select "dualview" and then set both screens to whatever resolution was native for them, this way i can open the movies in a window, throw them onto the other screen (lcd) then make them full screen.

that may be a solution if no-one else can help with it :slight_smile:

nick_harambee
Visitor

i am not sure what you mean by dual view, but it sounds like you are talking about the 'extended desktop' feature with the intel graphics card. i think the S5's use an ATI Radeon card. so with the extended desktop feature you can set up specific resolutions for notebook and monitor, and then drag programs onto the monitor and switch to fullscreen. the trouble is that whether i use 'extended desktop' or 'dual display clone' (mirroring the notebook on the monitor), if the setting of the monitor (or the notebook in the dual display mode) is anything over 1024x768 then the TV displays 'out of range' (and i get no picture), even though it has a custom resolution of 1366x768 and this is the resolution i am trying to use!

so it seems to me like it is the TV that is blocking any resolution higher than 1024x768 from being displayed.

nick

now i think i understand a lot more what your trying to say, my S5 uses a Nvidia card (which i then changed the drivers for to enable the extra settings like dualview etc,) but in the settings you should be able to see a box that says "only show mode that my monitorcan support".

If you untick that box, then type in your 'custom' resolution anf refresh rate that your TV supports, then can you use the native resolution?

Sorry if i'm not being much help,but with posting this it gets the thread back into the recent threads list, and maybe someone else can offer some input as well.

nick_harambee
Visitor

i spent a couple of hours in a sony store yesterday, with just about all of their staff helping out, trying to get the laptop to work with one of the new range of bravia TVs. as i mentioned before, both have the same native resolution of 1366x768. from looking in the manual for the TV, i can actually only expect to get 1280x768 with a WXGA display. however we could still only get 1024x768. everything above this and the TV displays 'out of range'. now in the TV manual it specifies 47.4KHz or 47.78KHz for the horizontal frequency and 60Hz for the vertical frequency. On my Intel graphics card there is no mechanism for adjusting the horizontal or vertical frequency, there is just one setting for refresh rate, which is 60Hz. so i don't know whether this applies to vertical or horizontal. having said all of this, one of the staff in the sony store did connect up a larger vaio laptop with an nvidia geforce graphics card, which also only had one 60Hz setting, and it worked fine with the TV at 1280x768. i will settle for this resolution as it is almost fullscreen, but at the moment there doesn't appear to be anything that i can do with this intel graphics card. i plan to phone intel on monday to see what can be done. if there is nothing that can be done, i will have to see whether my laptop will work at 1280x768 with a different TV or i will have to look to exchange my laptop for another laptop.

but if anyone here has any ideas as to what i could do, i would be grateful for suggestions

thanks

nick