Join now - be part of our community!

Disc Capacity & Hang on Shut Down

ChrisThomas7
Visitor

Disc Capacity & Hang on Shut Down

I have a VGN - AR21S. It has two hard drives. Drive C has only 14% free space and Defrag apparently requires a minimum of 15%. What happens when Drive C is full. Is data automatically then stored on Drive D. I have a lot of music & some photos stored on Drive C. Can these be easily moved to Drive D? What is the process to do this ?

I am getting more and more frequent problems where the computer seems to freeze or with programmes not responding. The only way I can find to resolve this is to restart. However, when I do the computer either hangs at "Saving your settings - Please wait" or it won't shut down at all. This does not happen when you are asked to restart your computer following, for example, the removal of a program which requires a restart. It works perfectly then. Why?

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi ChrisThomas7,

if you photo's and music are stored in your My Documents folder, a possible quick solution would be to change the default location of your My Documents folder, use the following link to view a guide on the procedure: How to Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder

ChrisThomas7
Visitor

Thanks. I did try this but the process did not complete and left some folders behind which was a bit disconcerting. Is it worth trying again to see whether it will complete the process ?

Also have you any suggestions about the problem where the computer seems to hang on Shut Down or Restart when done manually whereas it restarts perfectly well after deleting or adding a new program

I am also getting more persistent problems where programs eg. Outlook does not respond. Could this be caused by the C drive getting too full.

I have tried Disc clean up and defrag but even after a defrag there seem to be still too many fragmented files for my liking

Thanks for your help

savir
Visitor

hallo
you have to take everything that you don't need from c . and music o fotos can you store in extra place o in cd o dvd not in your computer that make your computer slow you have to take everything from your desktop .
only leave the necesary if you have enouhg place in D send everything in this folder .
you have no place in c tha make your computr slow.
chauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi there

If there are any files / folders left then just darg and drop them onto the D drive. Then delete them from C. (Check they have copied though)

There could be a few reasons why your computer is slow, not opening some apps etc and space does seem to be the obvious answer.

There could also be some application conflicts if you have installed software.

Do you also clean your internet cache etc?

This is a good app for cleaning the 'rubbish' but be very careful what you select for cleaning.

CCLeaner

ChrisThomas7
Visitor

Cheers

That is really helpful

Thanks again

profile.country.en_GB.title
tonybeard
Explorer

The bottom picture represents too many pictures on you're hard drive...ironically :laughing:

Try this 'set & forget' program Tune Up Utilities 2008 30 days Free but fixes and you can always ditch it later. Do all it reccommends except the defragmentation. This is still a new feature and don't trust it. Use the Windows defragment or Perfect disk. It has a handy new file organiser feature.... very cool.

Also a rudimentary way is start>accessories>command prompt> and immediately type chkdsk/f . It will take some time -refuse- but say yes to the next reboot. That is windows msdos from the old days instructing the hardware to self fix any slow downs on the HD. Make sure you have a system restore created before you do anything.