Join now - be part of our community!

disc recovery tools

profile.country.en_GB.title
zero5uk
Explorer

disc recovery tools

Leading on from the recent destruction of my hard drive i was looking at ways to recover data

Can software such as disc scavenger recover data of formatted hard drives say after a recovery procedure on a sony notebook which deletes ALL data on your hard disk.

I need to get a sony recovery disc, recover my notebook so it will boot up, then run disc scavenger (or other) to maybe get back to the state before problems occured.

6 REPLIES 6
hldomster
Visitor

For a start you may be able burn your recovery dvds if you press F10 when you see the VAIO logo at startup.

If you quick formatted your harddisk then the data should still be there, as this does not remove data, it just sets the entire disk for deletion, so when you need to use space it will begin to delete what is amrked for deletion. If the hard disk was totally formatted then this resets the binary code on the disk, meaning that data is probably lost. You could still try it though. (I hope some of that made sense)

From now on I recommend you back up your hard drive frequently. I back up mine on my VAIO pocket

zero5uk
Explorer

F10 does not do anything for some reason

Not sure what you mean by burning recovery cd's. I dont have any recovery cd's to start with.

Also, i havent formatted my hard disk, my PC crashed and i havent been able to boot up since.

I do back up on my ipod as its 40gb, but i dont back up instantly, so maybes thats what i should do in future.

Thanks for your reply

kee-lo_

Dom he doesn't have a "new" VAIO, these were the good old days of "real" recovery CDs.

I am not sure if it recovers everything, but it tries it's best. The only way to get 100% recovery is to employ a recovery company which can run into the 1000s.

Not sure where you can get the CDs except on VAIO-Link

zero5uk
Explorer

aha

Ok i see now, thanks for clearing it up kee-lo

one more thing i want to know. Is the recovery cd specific to my vaio (nv109m) or can i use any sony vaio recovery cd/cd's

hldomster
Visitor

Apparently they are locked into the BIOS, but then you can buy recovery CDs off Sony, which must be compatible for any of that specific VAIO.

kee-lo_

Apparently they are locked into the BIOS, but then you can buy recovery CDs off Sony, which must be compatible for any of that specific VAIO.

Yeah they do that