Join now - be part of our community!

downgrade : what a shame....

Geoff_33
Visitor

downgrade : what a shame....

Hello,

I ask Sony e-support when they will provide the proper downgrade drivers and utilities for their vaio laptops... The answer is a big shame. The customers will have to be use to have Vista installed and use it.

So good luck for everybody that can't find the solution for their problem like I did with the FE41M in the downgrade process. I think I will try DELL or to turn to linux for my next laptop.

It will be better than a thing like Vista.

17 REPLIES 17
andrewparkes
Visitor

what problems are you having, ive got FE41S and managed to get XP running sweetly! Just took a bit of time and patience

Geoff_33
Visitor

Hi,

I managed to install almost everything but stil have two problems:

- I can't change the brightness of the vaio. annoying when you want to save the energy of the battery
- the scrolls of the touchpad don't work (it's not a big problem)

I used the drivers from the vaio FE31M to do that and some information I got on internet.

andrewparkes
Visitor

Install the utilities, the brightness is in one of them i think.

For the scrolls, go to device manager, click PS2 mouse and update driver, point it to USB mouse and thatll get the scrolls wotking!

Let me know how you get on if you need any further help

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Geoff_33

Download the pre installed Utilities for the FE31M from Vaio-Link, once downloaded extract and then install the following, in order.

1 Sony Utilities
2 Sony Shared Library
3 Vaio Event Service

Once completed then re-boot your vaio.

You may have to do this more than once..:smileywink:

willyhoops
Visitor

Thalamus,

Please please please help me in my downgrading of a vista machine. If I can't get it done I am going to throw it out of the window.

http://club.vaio.sony.co.uk/clubvaio/GB/en/forum/viewthread?thread=46058

William

Geoff_33
Visitor

@ Thalamus: Thanks I already found your post a lot of time and tried it... Maybe I didn't try enough but after a lot of times the problems is still the same. Do you think I need to test you idea before installing the other utilities?

I can see at the moment the indication of the brignthness but it's not moving down or up... Maybe I will have to install again everything because I did a lit of test with different pack.

@andrewparkes: I will try today and let you know if it works. Thanks a lot.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Geoff,

Have you downloaded and installed the FE31M Original Drivers Package on your Vaio..?

Geoff_33
Visitor

Install the utilities, the brightness is in one of them i think. 

For the scrolls, go to device manager, click PS2 mouse and update driver, point it to USB mouse and thatll get the scrolls wotking!

Let me know how you get on if you need any further help

Hi andrewparkes,

I didn't find the solution you explained to me. Until I press "update driver" it's ok but then I don't understand which driver you are using or waht your are exactly doing. I assume you choose the driver yourself or use a specific path for a driver you downloaded.

Can you explain with more details what you did. At the moment I'm using the pointing driver which is in the FE31M package.

For you Thalamus, I downloaded the FE31M package and installed everything that wanted to be installed. But the brightness remain disabled. So I will have to install windows Xp another time and try again. But before I will try to make the scrolls working when Andrewparkes will help me.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Geoff,

Not sure but this post may be of interest .. :thinking: