Join now - be part of our community!

Downgrading Vista to XP

jam1978
Visitor

Downgrading Vista to XP

Hi,

I have a new CR19VN/B and would like to downgrade it to XP SP2. I have downloaded the driver pack from Sony (about 100Mb) but was wondering where I get the actual XP install disc (or find the option to downgrade to XP).

I strongly dislike Vista and only bought the VAIO since it was prominently advertised as "Not ready for Vista? No Probs, downgrade to XP Pro".

Thanks in advance!

J

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi jam1978 and welcome.

There has been a lot of confusion over this because Microsoft and Sony have a vested interest in making the process as difficult as possible - in the hope that most people will give up.

Firstly, you have to supply a fully legal hologramed XP Installation CD yourself. This has to be a legal copy complete with its own COA license key. Microsoft will not offer a download and Sony do not offer an OEM Version. It has to have a valid license key to prove it is a legitamate version - Microsoft will not activate unless you can prove the installation is legitimate.

Some have been persuaded to buy a retail version of XP to get the disc and the License Key but what most people with Vista Business appear to have done is just to borrow a XP Pro Installation disc and COA from a friend or from work. It doesn't matter if the COA is being used on another machine, it is just being used to prove that the software copy is legit.

After installation, activate by telephone. You will need details of the XP Pro Disc and License and details of your Vista Business OEM License.

Have a look at this thread in the Microsoft Forum: -

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1425295&SiteID=17

:wink: