Join now - be part of our community!

Drivers for ATI Mobility Radeon 9700

Nifty
Visitor

Drivers for ATI Mobility Radeon 9700

I have a recurring graphics problem with my laptop's graphics card. I occasionally get severe screen distortion when running 3D games, its apparently random and no amount of settings tweaking can fix it.

On attempting to locate some replacement drivers for my GPU i came accross the problem that there are no drivers designed for my Sony by Sony or ATI. Can i just download the latest drivers from ATI and use them or will that be just as unstable becuase they are not intended for my Sony system?

Maybe my problem is not GPU related (although i reckon it is). I can only describe what i see as lots of artifacts as if my GPU is overheating but they are everywhere and i mean everywhere, pixels seem to get drawn in the wrong place resulting in almost a blender effect. The problem even spills over into the desktop so when i close the game all my icons are fuzzy and distorted, but other areas are fine. This problem can happen as soon as i boot a game so im certain its not simply GPU overheating.

Its not a serious problem; it only happens occasionally and a reboot fixes it, but i would like it not to happen in the middle of playing games!

31 REPLIES 31
Nifty
Visitor

When i use the radeon omega drivers in my laptop, i usually UNDERCLOCK both the core and memory by about one increment each [10Mhz or something like that]. This has solved all graphics instability problems like crashes to desktop, system lockups, pixel flickering, mis-mapped textures, and even a small performance boost!!

Basically these laptops just get too hot when used for a prolonged amount of time, the small reduction in frequency means that the laptops heat doesnt reach a critical threshold where errors are made by the GPU. The performance boost i mentioned refers to the laptop having been running for an hour or so, with a higher clock rate mistakes are made as the graphics card overheats, this actually reduces performance.

Another up-side to this is that the battery lasts for a good 20 minutes longer when playing games! This is because with less frequency, less current is used, which means less drain and less cooling from the fan is needed. So with the fan running less often and lower clock rate, you see a performance boost in battery life.

So this problem for me is sorted, thanks to underclocking.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Excellent, nice to hear that