Join now - be part of our community!

DVD/CD not working on Sony DW-D56A

avalancha
Visitor

DVD/CD not working on Sony DW-D56A

In short:

I bought a VAIO A317M with a SONY DVD+-DL BURNER type DW-56A. I made my backup copies after the first start, formatted the partitions (including the hidden one), installed Win XP Pro.

Now:
Win XP Pro SP2 with all Updates
Nero Burning Rom 6.6.0.12
The newest Firmware for the burner: PSF2 (according to Nero Info Tool) is already in place

:cry: Problem:
With most CD/DVD media it has problems reading. Most of the time it acts like there was NO CD at all in the drive. It tries to read the CDs several times - no result.
Tried all kinds of media - including expensive Fuji, TDK, Verbatim etc. Even original DVD movies dont initialize properly. The drive reads around 30secs before it can recognise them.

So what 2 do?? The laptop has been in use for only a couple of days now. Installing from my burned CDR and DVD-R worked well - but now suddenly it can hardy read ANY media. I dont want to go back to the original XP Home Edition.

Any ideaa please???? Thank u all

13 REPLIES 13
Milo2201
Visitor

?delete all partions might be the answer.?.and also some disks are not liked by some sony..machines?..but sony discs branded are really cheap in pcw.. that might solved one problem
disc partion might be one?other
and extenal hard drives and dvd copy machines are so cheap and good..of the 45 vaio's in our group.. most must use external due to sony software..which is the best in the world:smileycry:
ps welcome to vaio hell..then it works..then all parts are well known to user..it could be a cunning plan boldrick..to get buyers selfhelping others thus save money?and then :heart_eyes:
one issue was firewall and the new sp2 protection..check details..and some xp had data protection..dvd cd only to be played by computer that burnt discs..restore then dif setup no play boldrick?..backups useless as that setup gone! well thats what i told the vat office...! but it was on some windows us..then gone?..the best setup is sony based as it will work one day over the rainbow...stay safe and never walk on the yellow brick road..:smileypig: :smileyflag: riggins

AMDFreakDE
Visitor

I have re-installed my windows and now it works!

First I used the Recovery-DVD i had burned after first start. My DVD works fine and in DMA-Mode. I killed the partition and re-installed my win xp pro and now it works fine...

avalancha
Visitor

I have re-installed my windows and now it works! 

First I used the Recovery-DVD i had burned after first start. My DVD works fine and in DMA-Mode. I killed the partition and re-installed my win xp pro and now it works fine...

good 4 u - in my case its impossible 'cause I can't reinstall if my drive doesn't work from start (boot sequence CD-ROM). Your problem was software-related, mine isn't....

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Sounds like it needs to be sent in.