Join now - be part of our community!

DVD drive suddenly not working with certain DVD's

fierce
Visitor

DVD drive suddenly not working with certain DVD's

I suddenly have the problem that the DVD drive on my viao notebook does not seem to see some CD/DVD's that i insert. The F: just stays blank. Also going tru explorer to the F: drive and opening it will not give a result. When i put in the CD/DVD it will spin about three times and then go dead. These are CD/DVD's like 'pinnacle'' program which i just purchased locally, a promotional DVD from Lexus, A CD with software to hook up my cellphone etc. Funny thing is that other stuff still works, like i recorded WMC television programs with another computer on a DVD and it sees and plays it just fine.
I can also still hook up an external DVD player to the viao and run the software in that way so it really is the player, and not the computer that seems at fault (But i dont want to lug an external DVD player everywhere ofcourse)

Looking at device manager gives no exclamation marks or any hints of faults.

Any suggestions???

Mike

8 REPLIES 8
fierce
Visitor

by the way...my notebook is a VGN SZ2HP_B and the drive is MATSHITA UJ-842D....

Eligus
Visitor

My Vaio VGN-S1xp with Matshita UJ-812 drive does not recognise Rewritable disks but will play other CD's and DVD's. Were the ones that did not work for you Rewrite?

giridhar_pn
Visitor

Hi,
I did face problems with the same dvd RAM drive but i was able to copy things.
I believe it has a very bad error correction codes.
I was able to read re-writable DVDs. I made recovery disks. So I guess it works :slight_smile:

Regards
Giridhar

fierce
Visitor

Nope...even today a regular NORTON internet protection CD is not read....just doesnt appear on ''my computer'' at all. Does one get waaranty on sumthing like this, a non-functioning drive?

VKing
Visitor

Must say have the same problem with my Vaio VGN-FE31H and drive Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-850S, since the very beginning (purchased abt one month ago). Some CD/DVD's simply are not recognized while others work. Not working ones could be original or recoredable/rewritable, as well as those working.

Shop do not want to take any action, except saying that taking to Sony assistance it will take 3 months or more for a repair.

I would expect from Sony a recall action as seems to be a wider issue.

profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

Warranty periods vary across Europe. Warranty is normally 1 year or 2 years for Germany, Austria, Czech Republic and Portugal If bought after september 2003.

robpaxton
Explorer

Shop do not want to take any action, except saying that taking to Sony assistance it will take 3 months or more for a repair.

If the shop can't get the computer repaired then it is up to them to replace it. Goods not fit for purpose - this site
explains your rights in the UK.

kee-lo_

At John Lewis you have 2 years too