Join now - be part of our community!

DVD not recognised after firmware update

choulder
Visitor

DVD not recognised after firmware update

Hi,

In my despair I turn to the experts:

I have a Sony VAIO PCG-FR315S and I recently upgraded my firmware for the DVD+RW drive. Unfortunatly I can no longer burn DVD's as the DVD discs are no longer recognised by the drive.

for example in 'Click to DVD' I get the message "Insert a recordable disk" even though I have a Sony DVD+RW inserted.

I resorted to reinstalling the operating system from Sony's Recovery disk but this did not solve the problem. I can still however burn normal CD's.

Please does anyone have a solution for this or how to proceed?
I have a great deal of holiday footage I would like to burn, any help would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks

Chris

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Try re-flashing the firmware, hopefully this will sort things out.

Woody27
Visitor

This happend to a friend of mines DVD burner after a firmware upgrade!

As Kee-Lo says, hopefully re-flashing will sort it out! :smileygrin:

However, if the firmware update was corrupted or did'nt update properly you may have lost this function for good! :cry:

Firmware and BIOS updates can be very dangerous!

I wish that Sony and other manufacturers would make it even clearer (they do have a statement that you have to agree to) that you could risk permanently damaging your computer by running this type of update!

In my opinion, if it ain't broke... ...don't fix it!

I would never touch a BIOS or firmware update unless it was absolutely necessary (i.e. to get the computer functioning again)!

Hope you get it sorted out.... ....if not external USB or firewire drives are pretty cheap now! :smileygrin:

CW

kee-lo_

Yes you have to be extra careful.

I wish they would provide a hash code for the files, and a CRC check to make it easier to determin the file's authencity at this end.

psplay
Visitor

Hi there,

I 'may' have the same problem. I have a VGN-S1XP my DVD-RW only reads CD's now.

However, with the utility for flashing the rom, you simply can't re-run it, as once it recognises that your bios level is the latest, it will just give you a message and close.

Is there a way anyone knows of how to 'roll back' bios?

kee-lo_

Did you install Nero by any chance?

psplay
Visitor

I did.

My bad?

kee-lo_

Try the Nero Registry Cleaner.
http://www.nero.com/en/631938356417810.html

Woody27
Visitor

Try the Nero Registry Cleaner.
http://www.nero.com/en/631938356417810.html

Nice one Kee-Lo,

I had'nt realised they provided this simple solution.... ....most user don't like messing with RegEdit!

CW

kee-lo_

No problem Woody, it's a handy tool.