Join now - be part of our community!

DVD-RW drive/software problem

fire_phoenix
Visitor

DVD-RW drive/software problem

hi there,
i bought my sony vaio fe21h just a month ago today and everything was working fine till today. I went through windows update and rebooted my system then i tried install a game i have and the drive is missing in my computer and when i checked the device manager it has the question mark on it. \\i then tried updating the driver and that didn't fix the problem and i tried rebooting the laptop and nothing changed. does anyone have any idea how i can fix the problem please?

thanks to anyone who leaves a reply/spends time reading this.

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi fire_phoenix,

Welcome to Club Vaio, :slight_smile:

In Device Manager have you tried right clicking and uninstalling DVD drive, then reboot your vaio it should then reinstall the correct drivers..:smileyconfused:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

You may possibly have a registry problem that can be fixed quite easily – what error code is reported by Device Manager?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
fire_phoenix
Visitor

hey there the error code that im getting in the device managaer is code 39
and also i have tried uninstalling the drive and then re-installing the drive after re-booting but nothing happens i still get the code 39.
also i just noticed that my volume control has gone missing from the auto-hide section...just found that out when i went into a skype conference with a friend of mine

😞
p.s. could it be that there's a bug in my registery? im not very gud at this so im kinda poking my head in the dark on the matter

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi fire_phoenix,

It appears that the soultion to your problem requires editing the registry, to remove UPPER & LOWER FILTERS. See
here for further information..:smileyhappy:

fire_phoenix
Visitor

thanks thalamus and the rest of you guys/girls

My problem with the dvd drive has been resolved
...next is the volume control grrr

:smileygrin:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi fire_phoenix,

You're welcome..:smileyhappy:

For your sound problem goto Start > Control panel > Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices.

Click Sounds & Audio Devices, an new window opens, under the volume tab check that 'Place volume icon in the task bar' is selected..