Join now - be part of our community!

DVD+/-RW Problem

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

DVD+/-RW Problem

As a "newbie's" first post please excuse me if this is not in the right forum and format.

There seems to be a significant number of problems with DVD drives not working correctly over the last few weeks.

I can't believe I am alone with this problem and I suspect there will be a lot of "newbies" looking for help.

My VAIO PGC-K315M is only 5 months old (SP2 already installed on purchase) and suddenly the Pioneer DVR-K14 has stopped recognising any discs at all. It makes a vibrating noise as if it is trying to read the discs, spins up the disc for a couple of seconds and then stops. No warning messages at all and I can't see any files in Explorer.

315M is still under warranty but I don't want to be without it for ages if this is a software problem.

Can anyone help?

28 REPLIES 28
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Hi

Your post is fine, and in the right place :slight_smile:

Yeah, you're right, becoming very common indeed.
Not sure why it's happening.
Have you installed any software lately?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Kee-Lo

Only Windows XP updates, Anti-Virus updates and some VAIO updates (smaller ones - no Broadband yet!). No new software since Photoshop 3 and Omnipage SE some months ago and the drive has only just stopped working.

Should I try a 'System Restore' to backdate my system? (Not sure exactly how to do this) I suppose this would show if the drive is faulty.

Your help is much appreciated - anything to prevent a return trip to Sony!

Blencogo:smileyconfused:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

A Windows System Restore is certainly worth a try.
Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.
Choose `Restore my computer to an earlier time > click `next¿.
The dates on the calendar available for restore will appear as bold numerals. Select a date prior to the problem and click `next¿. Restore information will be gathered and your computer will restart and roll back to the selected date.
Bear in mind that any programs and updates that have been installed after the selected date will need to be re-installed but you will not loose any personal files (e.g. Word documents etc.) The process is completely reversible if you encounter any problems.
Good luck.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
kee-lo_

Rich is right, it's likely to be a Sony update causing this

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Thanks Kee-Lo, Thanks Rich,

No luck with a System Restore - even as far back as I can go. I'll speak to Vaio-link but it's beginning to look like a repair job!

Another Optical Drive bites the dust. :cry:

kee-lo_

Sounds like it :slight_frown: :angry:

gfaelli
Visitor

Have you tried to update the Bios or even your DVD/RW driver?
It could be your solution (why not??:smileytongue: :tongue: )

HITS-UK
Visitor

Did you get any response to this?:smileyconfused:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Afraid you're talking to a bit of a novice!

There is a BIOS update available on VAIO-Link but there are also warnings which have (so far) kept me from attempting this.

There doesn't seem to be any firmware updates for DVR-K14.

The drivers in Device Manager are the Microsoft ones and these seem to be the latest version: -
cdrom.sys
imapi.sys
redbook.sys
storprop.dll
(Version 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

There are also three Roxio 7.1 (DVD) drivers: -
Cdr4_xp.sys
Cdrawl2K.sys
pwd_2K.sys

And one Sonic: -
PxHelp20.sys

Am I missing any? The drive wont recognise any discs CD or DVD.

Thank you all for your patience.:smileychicken: