Join now - be part of our community!

DVD+/-RW Problem

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

DVD+/-RW Problem

As a "newbie's" first post please excuse me if this is not in the right forum and format.

There seems to be a significant number of problems with DVD drives not working correctly over the last few weeks.

I can't believe I am alone with this problem and I suspect there will be a lot of "newbies" looking for help.

My VAIO PGC-K315M is only 5 months old (SP2 already installed on purchase) and suddenly the Pioneer DVR-K14 has stopped recognising any discs at all. It makes a vibrating noise as if it is trying to read the discs, spins up the disc for a couple of seconds and then stops. No warning messages at all and I can't see any files in Explorer.

315M is still under warranty but I don't want to be without it for ages if this is a software problem.

Can anyone help?

28 REPLIES 28
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Thanks

forceASPI17 downloaded and unzipped.

cmsd
Visitor

well, pls follow now exactly to these points

1. klick at first in the unzipped folder on the file "dumpASPI"

2. click on the file (same folder) "instASPI"

3. click on the file "aspichk.exe" again to check what is stated.

let me know again, it must be 4.60 four times stated and ASPI drivers are properly installed or similar. Pls confirm this before you continue.

cmsd
Visitor

The aspi checker must state as follows:

Component - Version - Size

ASPI32.SYS - 4.6 (1021) - 25244 bytes
WOWPOST.EXE - 4.6 (1021) - 4672 bytes
WINASPI.DLL - 4.6 (1021) - 5600 bytes
WNASPI32.DLL - 4.6 (1021) - 45056 bytes

ASPI is properly installed and fully operational.

Can you confirm this?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

All four files are now installed. v4.6 1021

The BAT file said "Windows NT detected" - I have XP. Does this matter? aspichk confirms Win XP.

It asked for a reboot

cmsd
Visitor

yep follow to this reboot operation and come back again here.
the job seems to be done. try a dvd and let me know.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Afraid it still will not recognise any discs - CD or DVD. It is trying to read but not successfully

I'll try some different types of discs tomorrow and let you know.

Should the new drivers appear in Device Manager - I am still just showing the Microsoft drivers - cdrom.sys, imapi.sys, stormprop.dll and redbook.sys?

Thanks again for your help.

Keith

cmsd
Visitor

The drivers appearing in the Device Manager are correct and fine.

Try to re-install the "instASPI" again and shut down the notebook. Power off the machine for 10 sec more or less.
Power on the machine and start under F2 to go in to the BIOS table. Change the boot to HDD, Optical Drive, Floppy, LAN - save these changes and start normally.

Try CD and DVD again. It takes with DVD a bit longer in recognising as CD usage, but it should work.

No problem, the forum is here for such help. 😉

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

After trying everything - I think I have at last found the problem!

The strip connecion cable inside the drive (between the drive and the moving laser head) has come loose and has been interfering with the free movement of the head and stopping it moving for at least half of its travel.

The drive will need replacement as the head has kinked the connector.

Thank you to you all for your valuable help and patience with a 'newbie' - I feel I have made some friends!!

Keith:smileyangry:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Thank you to you all for your valuable help and patience with a 'newbie' - I feel I have made some friends!!

Keith:smileyangry:

Hi Keith

No problem, hope you get a replacement without hassle.

Have fun