Join now - be part of our community!

DW-D56A on A series

Eugenepang
Visitor

DW-D56A on A series

Had anyone install the new driver Version : PFS3-2 on thier DW-D56A optical drive? Especially on A317S series... the last one was all problems so i am abit worry of installing this new driver

Thanks
Ciao

12 REPLIES 12
DIrvine
Visitor

Called Vaio support and they have requested that it be sent in for repair. You would think that if people are having so many issues with there DVD drives they would do a product recall of sorts. At least the Vaio Helpdesk was helpful. Lets hope the rest of the process goes smoothly.

Eugenepang
Visitor

Called Vaio support and they have requested that it be sent in for repair.  You would think that if people are having so many issues with there DVD drives they would do a product recall of sorts.  At least the Vaio Helpdesk was helpful.  Lets hope the rest of the process goes smoothly.

Before you installed the new firmware, is there any problems with your DVD?

DIrvine
Visitor

Hi Eugenepang

I was having issues with my DVD drive. Ever since I bought the laptop. I thought that it was just down to a bad bunch of CD/DVD's When I closed the drive tray with a disk in the drive the disk would not spin up. It also sounded like the read/write head was moving back and forth trying to read the disk. I upgraded to the second firmware release which helped the problem a little. Then upgraded to the third release which came out recently. Which made things a bit worse. The funny thing is, some days your could read 10's of CD and others it would not read any. I also recovered the laptop using the recovery partition and also the recover CD. Although using the CD i would also have try and tease the drive to work.

Thats really the only symptoms.