Join now - be part of our community!

F12 Sleep Key - not working

VMR
Visitor

F12 Sleep Key - not working

I have a Vaio FS215S running Win XP Home with SP3, plus all latest Sony updates.

My F12 Sleep key no longer works. Has anyone got any suggestions on how to correct this please? I've tried to search in this Forum, but no luck.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
VMR
Visitor

As well, it seems that none of my F keys are working correctly. F5 & F6 which change the brightness of the screen don't work either. This problem seems to have occurred recently after Windows XP updates.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi VMR,

do you have the sony supplied graphics driver installed, if so..

...download the Original Utilities Package from Vaio-Link, use the following link: FS 215S Original Utilities Package

Once downloaded extract the files and then install the following, in order.

1 Sony Utilities
2 Sony Shared Library
3 Vaio Event Service

Once completed then re-boot your Vaio.

You may have to do this more than once to get the function keys working again..:smileywink:

VMR
Visitor

Hi VMR,

do you have the sony supplied graphics driver installed, if so..

...download the Original Utilities Package from Vaio-Link, use the following link: FS 215S Original Utilities Package

Once downloaded extract the files and then install the following, in order.

1 Sony Utilities
2 Sony Shared Library
3 Vaio Event Service

Once completed then re-boot your Vaio.

You may have to do this more than once to get the function keys working again..:smileywink:

Hi Thalamus

Thank you very much for your advice. However, I've done as you suggested, and in fact, have tried three times now to re-install the relevant drivers, but this does not seem to work. The F keys are still not working.

Is there anything else you can suggest I should try?

Many thanks for your time and help on this.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi,

did your problems occur just after installing SP3.?

If your problems started after installing SP3 you could always roll back to Windows XP SP2..

Use the following link for instructions on: How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer

VMR
Visitor

Hi Thalamus

No, I don't think they did - but can't be sure. I'll give this a try.

Is there any other Sony utility, or BIOS setting I can try to see if I can get these working again? This problem just affects the Function keys from F2 to F12. The F1 key still pulls up "Help", and the Esc, Num Lk, Prt Sc, Insert & Delete keys are all working normally. :slight_frown:

VMR
Visitor

If your problems started after installing SP3 you could always roll back to Windows XP SP2..

Use the following link for instructions on: How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer

No, this hasn't made any difference. I'm fairly sure this is a recent problem. I've rolled my system back to 18 Sep 2008 (using Acronis True Image), but this hasn't solved it either - and I definitely know everything on my system was working OK at that time.

Which makes me wonder is it a BIOS problem?

VMR
Visitor

RESOLVED!

Went into BIOS, changed Hotkey settings, saved, then changed back to Default settings. Rebooted, and all wworking perfectly.

Thanks for your help. :slight_smile: