Join now - be part of our community!

Failed Windows reinstall using recovery partition

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
petethefeet1
New

Failed Windows reinstall using recovery partition

I tried to reinstall Windows 7 (ie the whole C drive) using the recovery partition. However, upon rebooting I get as far as a message saying that Windows was not reinstalled correctly and to try again. I do not get to the Windows desktop.I click OK to the message and Windows reboots back to the same point each time. The Sony app bar at the top of the screen loads, and I can launch programs from its shortcuts, but not the desktop. How do I restart the process? And how can I ensure it doesn't do the same thing again? (Before starting, I created a set of recovery disks, so I can - presumably - restore the old WIndows install if all else fails.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi,

It sounds like something is not loading at startup or is missing/corrupt.

Can you bring up Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del?  If you can then it would indicate that explorer.exe has not run.  Try clicking on File -> New and type in explorer.exe

When you turn the Vaio on, do you see the Vaio Logo splash screen?  If so, you can restart the Recovery Reinstall Process by tapping F10 when you see this screen.

Alternatively, as the Recovery Discs are just an exact copy of the Recovery Partition, you can put Disc 1 into the drive and reboot.  This should also start the recovery process.  The Recovery Discs will also revert the system back to factory settings.

:thinking:

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi,

It sounds like something is not loading at startup or is missing/corrupt.

Can you bring up Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del?  If you can then it would indicate that explorer.exe has not run.  Try clicking on File -> New and type in explorer.exe

When you turn the Vaio on, do you see the Vaio Logo splash screen?  If so, you can restart the Recovery Reinstall Process by tapping F10 when you see this screen.

Alternatively, as the Recovery Discs are just an exact copy of the Recovery Partition, you can put Disc 1 into the drive and reboot.  This should also start the recovery process.  The Recovery Discs will also revert the system back to factory settings.

:thinking:

petethefeet1
New

Thanks for your response. I can indeed launch Task Manager with Ctl-Alt-Delete. It shows 1 application running: Install Windows, and 55 processes, including Explorer. The Install Windows process seems to refer to the warning window which says: 'Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation'.

If I click OK in this window the laptop then reboots. I get the Starting Windows screen, then 'Setup is preparing your computer for first use'. Then the blue Welcome screen appears, it launches the VAIO taskbar at the top of the screen, and the Install Windows message reappears.

I do get the VAIO splash screen, so I will try using the Recovery Partition again. Just worried that it will do exactly the same thing again...I'll let you know.

petethefeet1
New

I am pleased to say the reinstall worked fine this time. Really appreciate your help!

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

That's great news - well done!

:slight_smile: