Join now - be part of our community!

Files will not open

profile.country.en_GB.title
gyron1
Explorer

Files will not open

Strange one this, just seems to have happened.

I have a desktop shortcut to my 'D Drive' which now, when double clicked, instead of opening the 'D Drive' folder, opens the search window (found in the start menu!

Coupled with this now, when I double click on the 'C' and 'D' folder icons in 'My Computer' they also now open the 'The Search Window'. Both the 'C' & 'D' drives can still be opened by right clicking mouse over the folders and selecting 'open'.

What's going on please??

Thank you for any solution.

Gyron

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Gyron,

I think you may have a infection can you run a full anti virus & malware scan please.?

gyron1
Explorer

Hi Thalamus,

OK, will do now

Gyron

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Let us know how you get on.. :four_leaf_clover:

gyron1
Explorer

Hi Thalamus,

OK, done a complete system scan (with Norton Internet Security software, 2008/9) and no problems found, except 1 usual 'Tracking Cookie' which was deleted.

Further probing shows that neither the 'C' or 'D' drives in 'My Computer' open by a double click (the search window opens instead) - however both these drive icons open correctly by selecting 'open' in the right hand click selection menu! It would seem that the desktop shortcut for the 'D' drive follows on from this problem in 'My Computer' window.

The only other desktop icon to be affected this way is the 'My Computer', all others correct.

Hmm, any other ideas please?

Kind regards,

Gyron

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Gyron,

I'm not sure if this will work so it would be wise to back up your registry first, if you're not sure how use the following link for a Guide

Follow these steps to check the registry setting:

Go to Start then click Run in the Run box type Regedit then click OK.

Registry Editor starts.

In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

Expand Directory, then double click on Shell..

On the Right Hand side click on Default, the value should read none

Quit Registry Editor.

Restart your Vaio.

gyron1
Explorer

Hello Thalamus,

Thank you for your reply and advice, I will try what you say.

I know it is not policy to discuss third party software on these forums, however, without casting any blame at all on the manufacturer, my problems started after using the 'TuneUp Utilities' software on my laptop. Contained within the modifications carried out were 'mods' to the registry. I have tried 'rolling back' changes made, via software tool provided, without any beneficial effect. I have sent them an email detailing the problem requesting their help. Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks for your help, will let you know how I get on with your suggestions.

Gyron

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Thank you for your reply and advice, I will try what you say.

No problem, just make sure you back up the registry before making changes.. :wink:

gyron1
Explorer

Hi Thalamus,

Thanks for help once again - problem fixed! (backed up registry in a couple of places just in case - hate fiddling with the registry).

With your advice, the route I took after opening the Registry Editor was;

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
click default
click modify in Edit menu
Type 'none' in value data box
click OK
exit editor

Exactly as you said.

Will keep you updated on third party software answer to problem if and when it comes if you like?

Thanks again for your help.

Gyron

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Excellent glad you've solved the problem.. :slight_smile: