Join now - be part of our community!

Fn Function keys ans S1 S2 on VGN-SZ1M/B

Gonul
Visitor

Fn Function keys ans S1 S2 on VGN-SZ1M/B

I have seen several other threads on reinstalling sony drivers etc to get these keys working, but I cant see the relivent downloads for this model, plus the downloads are managed but the vaio update program.

What can I do to activate these keys ?

Cheers,

Gonul

3 REPLIES 3
Brianct
Visitor

Hi Gonul

Go Here:http://www.vaio-link.com/downloads/select/select.asp?l=en&category=-1&serie=-1&m=2158#6 and goto the Preinstalled Drivers and Utilities and download the utilities package. that should sort out your problem

Brian

Gonul
Visitor

Thanks for that worked first time !

Gonul

spotts2870
Visitor

The first time my Fn keys and S keys stopped working (Fn+ScrLk still worked) I considered the possible causes and tried to revert them:

* Windows Update had installed July 2006 Windows Security Updates
* Vaio Update had installed VAIO Event Services SOAVES-00824540-UN 11/07/2006 3.66 MB
* Vaio Update had instructed me to manually update BIOS Update R0073N0 PHBSYS-01041217-UN

I reverted the software updates, but not the firmware update in an attempt to get the Fn keys to work, but they had no effect. Messages on his forum indicated that I needed to uninstall and reinstall (not repair) the Vaio Event Service (from utils folder 5) downloaded from vaio-link.com and that worked once, possibly prior to Windows Update, but not again since.

Event Viewer listed an Application event that was caused by Vaio Event Service:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( VAIO Event Service ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service stopped.

This event is something I didn't investigate until I'd taken another look around this forum, whereupon I discovered Rich912's recommendation at http://www.club-vaio.com/clubvaio/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=34343 to install:
1 Sony Utilities (Installer folder 1)
2 Sony Shared Library (Installer folder 2)
3 Vaio Event Service (Installer folder 7) - actually folder 5 for SZ1M

and that worked for me this time morning - and hopefully will continue to be effective through Windows Updates, and more immediately, a reboot. If this fails, then the next course of action is likely to be to investigate the Application event in Event Viewer.

Hope this helps someone.