Join now - be part of our community!

Fn Keys

W3bbo
Visitor

Fn Keys

A few of you will remember my old threads and my problems with getting my MCE Vaio FE11M to run (and get a working product key) after I reformatted.

Well, somewhat fortunatley, the hard-drive failed on the laptop 3 days after I reformatted it (hopefully totally an unrelated occurence, although in retrospect maybe I should have deleted my NTLM hashes before I gave it back to PC World)

So anyway, I've got a retail replacement from PC World, rather than Sony, and rather than reformat it, I decided to clean it up surgically. Suffice to say, after a few hours I was finally able to get rid of all the crapware.

However, whilst erring on the side of caution when removing the apps, my Fn keys have stopped working. Not that this is much of a big deal, since I only use them for changing the screen brightness (which wouldn't be a problem if Sony used the Microsoft API for controlling screen brightness, which is enforced in the TabletPC specification; instead they use their own propriety driver), but I really would appreciate having this functionality restored.

In a nutshell: How do I restore the Fn keys?

6 REPLIES 6
Josh-2552
Visitor

giv me a sec n ile tell ya :smileygrin:

Josh-2552
Visitor
W3bbo
Visitor

http://www.club-vaio.com/clubvaio/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=32532&pager.offset=0

clik that, it shud explain

Many thanks

Now I need to figure out the same for my Toshiba Tecra M4

Josh-2552
Visitor

no prob.

i imagine it'll be the same mathod, but from the toshiba website?

W3bbo
Visitor

no prob.

i imagine it'll be the same mathod, but from the toshiba website?

Pretty much, but the driver I'm after is on a DVD that came with it rather than a hunt through Toshiba's site.

Josh-2552
Visitor

oh rite. surely they release updates as well?